TEFL Course/Job Market in Florence?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

braeee

TEFL Course/Job Market in Florence?

Unread post by braeee »

So I have done some extensive research and am at a stand-still. Tons of conflicting information, so I would greatly appreciate some advice!

My dream goal is to teach in Florence (a long with everyone else in the world). I understand it is competitive, especially for an American. However, I am trying to choose the course that will give me the best shot at achieving my goal.

I understand it is important to take the TEFL course in the area you want to teach because you can network, visit the schools in person, etc. Of course Florence does not offer any certTrinity or CELTA courses...

I understand that having a CELTA or certTrinity "opens more doors". There is a CELTA course in Rome (International House) and a Trinity course (Oxford House) in Barcelona that I am interested in. The International House is 400 euros more than the Oxford House, and I am not sure if it is worth the extra expense.

I love Barcelona and would not mind at all landing a teaching job there, but as I mentioned before, I am trying to choose the best course to teach in Italy (preferably Florence).

Lastly, the Barcelona course would not end until October 20-something and I understand the "hiring periods" are between September and October.

So, I am at a cross roads and my inability to decide is taking too much time... Please help!

What are the "good" TEFL courses in Florence? I was looking at International TEFL Academy.. They seem very friendly and helpful. Also, I was considering VIA Lingua.

Or, would you recommend taking the Oxford House in Barcelona and just trying to find a job after I have a Trinity certificate?

Or, should I just suck it up and find a way to justify spending an extra 400 euros for the CELTA course in Rome?

Any other advice/suggestions is also appreciated!

If you need to know my "credentials":
BA in Psychology, minor in Education
Worked 1.5 years at International Market Research Firm
Native Speaker (American)
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Course/Job Market in Florence?

Unread post by Briona »

braeee wrote:My dream goal is to teach in Florence (a long with everyone else in the world). I understand it is competitive, especially for an American. However, I am trying to choose the course that will give me the best shot at achieving my goal.
You say you have done "extensive research" but your post suggests that you've missed the most important point which is that as a non-EU citizen you will struggle to find legal work anywhere in Western Europe. This is because employers in the EU cannot just hire a non-EU citizen. They first have to prove that there were no suitably qualified EU citizens who could do the job, which is not a very likely proposition.

As a non-EU citizen you would enter Italy (or Spain) on a Schengen visa. This is essentially a tourist visa that gives you 90 days in the Schengen zone (http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... dex_en.htm). Taking your CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL in-country means using up 30 of those precious days. Failure to convert your visa into a valid work visa through an employer within those 90 days, which as stated above is unlikely, means having to leave not just the country you entered but the entire zone for a further 90 days. Border runs to restart the clock are no longer possible.

There are a couple of programmes (see below) which, if you meet the criteria, would allow you to work legally in parts of Europe for a fixed amount of time. Other than that you might want to look into getting a student visa, although that would, unsurprisingly, require you to study something through a recognised provider for 20hrs a week. Contact the relevant embassies for more information.

PROGRAMMES FOR NORTH AMERICANS
If you are American or Canadian there are a few programmes that, if you meet the criteria, will enable you to legally work in Western Europe for a fixed amount of time. NB: As an EU citizen I am merely aware of these programmes – I cannot vouch for any of them so please DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH before applying.

North American Language and Culture Assistants Programme: A very popular programme offering teaching assistant placements in Spain. Note that early application is essential. However, applications for the 2013/14 academic year have already closed. See: http://www.educacion.gob.es/eeuu/convoc ... -eeuu.html

Bilingual English Development and Assessment (BEDA): A private organisation that places language assistants in Catholic schools primarily in Madrid, Spain, but also in the a few other places in Spain. Note that this programme is also open to Australians and New Zealanders. Applications for the 2013/14 academic year closed on 31 January 2013. See: http://www.ecmadrid.org/beda/Auxiliares ... iwant.html

Unión de Cooperativas de Enseñanza de Trabajo Asociado de Madrid (UCETAM): Programme placing US citizens as English Teaching Assistants in schools in Madrid. Their website is in Spanish (so language proficiency is definitely required) and is fairly light on information but there are at least contact details. See: http://www.ucetam.org/

Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE): This programme offers teaching assistant placements in Spain. The application period for the 2013/14 academic year has already closed. See: http://www.ciee.org/teach/spain/

Centre International d'Études Pédagogiques (CIEP): This programme offers teaching assistant placements in France and is open to citizens of the US, Canada, South Africa, Australia and NZ among others. You MUST be aged 20-30 and attending university at the time of application and have a reasonable knowledge of French (B1 level). Recruitment is open from mid-October to early January/late February. See: http://www.ciep.fr/en/assistantetr/index.php

Fulbright: Programme placing US citizens as English Teaching Assistants all over Europe. Language proficiency may be required. See: http://us.fulbrightonline.org/eta-program-charts (click on Europe to see placements, grants and language requirements).
Experience teaching in Vietnam, Portugal, Poland, Spain, the UK, and Qatar
braeee

Re: TEFL Course/Job Market in Florence?

Unread post by braeee »

Yes, I was aware through my "extensive research" that the visa does indeed pose a problem. I was trying to figure out a course of study first before tackling the VISA issue.

Thank you very, very much for all of the programs you outlined. I looked somewhat into BEDA and Fulbright. I will look into everything you have mentioned once I finish this reply

If anyone one else has other insight, I would greatly appreciate it. Additionally, I'd be thankful for any information/opinions regarding the TEFL courses that are offered by the schools in Florence.