What does CELTA cover?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

enfreak

What does CELTA cover?

Unread post by enfreak »

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here. I've been teaching English for a couple of years in my country Iran. Actually I've got a BA in English and I've passed the course TTC in my country. I can continue working here, but I'm ambitious and want to get promotion! So it's been about some months I've been considering taking a course that enables me to teach in other countries as well. When I asked for some advice from friends and googled it myself, I found out that CELTA is apparently more widely accepted than the other ones like TESOL.
Now this is my question. What material am I supposed to cover while studying CELTA? I'm familiar with the basics of teaching, I know about grammar and I have class teaching experience.
Do I have to study things about psychology, teaching methodology, etc?
Do I have to study a lot of theories? Because I believe the practical side of teaching (English) is much more dominant.
Thanks for your help.
enfreak

Re: What does CELTA cover?

Unread post by enfreak »

Any help, please?
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Unread post by kaithegreene »

Take a look at the website http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/ - you'll find the full syllabus there.
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

The Cambridge CELTA is an excellent course as it covers all the main bases for TEFL and comes with a Cambridge University certificate (worth having !).
But for someone like yourself, perhaps your aim after CELTA should be the Cambridge Delta. This is Masters Degree level, and really explores teaching, learning and you yourself as a teacher in great depth. As stated elsewhere, make sure you choose a good course provider.

Good luck !