HELP! TEFL job in UK - worth it?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

ginalys

HELP! TEFL job in UK - worth it?

Unread post by ginalys »

Hi,

I am 23 years old have a BA degree in English Language & Communication, an MA in TESOL, one year teaching experience abroad and im starting the CELTA course in two weeks. I'm planning on finding a job in the UK. Will it be hard for me to find a job and is it even worth it?? Please advice.

Thanks in advance.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: HELP! TEFL job in UK - worth it?

Unread post by Alex Case »

I had a really fun three years TEFLing in London, but nearly half my wages went on rent and travel and I only just about saved enough for short European holidays. I absolutely couldn't survive on a TEFL wage now with a family to support. Things might be a bit more optimistic if you are very flexible about location and can get a job doing university pre-sessional courses. (TESL used to be the other good option, but has been decimated by government cuts). If you're likely to want to stay in the UK to teach for the rest of your life, you'd be better off doing a PGCE and becoming a school teacher or FE lecturer.
ginalys

Unread post by ginalys »

Thank you very much for your reply. appreiated
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

I agree with Alex. I'll just add that being a school teacher in the UK is no walk in the park. it's a high stress environment.
ginalys

Unread post by ginalys »

Thank you Susan. So in other words, it's not worth it pursuing a teaching career in the UK? I really don't know what to do now..I'm leaving in two weeks going to UK to do the CELTA so I don't know know if I'm going to stay or come back to Cyprus.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? With both kinds of teaching, it's worth combining it with some time abroad. For example, if you teach outside the UK for at least two years after doing a CELTA and come back to the UK with a DELTA or Trinity Dip, you're options will be much improved (though probably still paid less than an equivalent school teacher). If you do a PGCE, that opens up the best of all possible jobs, which is International Schools abroad.
rachelb

Unread post by rachelb »

There is year-round, decently-paid TEFL work at some British universities. Some international students have to complete a foundation course to get their academic qualifications up to speed before they can study on an undergraduate degree, and there are other pre-uni course options and requirements, for both UG and PG students, all of which include an English language component. Therefore, TESOL teachers, of an EAP variety, are needed to teach them. Although it can be hard to get into it and secure a permanent position, it isn't impossible; it can be really rewarding if you like that kind of thing, and I'd say it's a lot less stressful and fraught with bureaucracy than [s]proper teaching[/s] teaching in the state sector.

Most universities require a Bachelors degree, an initial teaching qualification, e.g. the CELTA, plus a Diploma and / or a Masters in TESOL, plus experience, probably 2-3 years' minimum, so you're nearly there - take Alex's advice and spend another year or so teaching abroad (it's more fun). Pre-sessional programmes are a good way to cut your teeth on the EAP scene, and they might be a bit more flexible in terms of what qualifications and experience they ask for, because the demand for teachers can be quite high (FYI they're in the summer, just before the university year starts).
ginalys

Unread post by ginalys »

Thank you so much for your advice. I will do the CELTA course (and hopefully pass) and then if I manage to get a decent job in the UK I'll stay otherwise I'll try something abroad. At least I already have an MA in TESOL so I don't have to worry about that! And Alex I'm 23 years old. I've mentioned my age in my first post:)
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Unread post by kaithegreene »

I enjoyed the variety of teaching academic year contracts around Europe and summer school in Britain for several years. Summer schools in Britain give you experience of teaching multi-lingual classes and it all helps to build up a range of experience.