Employment in Italy

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Europe. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Employment in Italy

Unread postby Mariel » 31 May 2013, 02:12

Hi All,
I've been contacted by an ESL school in Italy through eslemployment.com for a job opening they'd like to fill.

It's a regular ESL teaching job, by all apparent means, but being the scardy-cat I am I thought it'd be wise to get some more info on them and teaching in Italy, in general. The school's called Connor Language Services, and according to their website it's a language institute in Milan that also provides English for specific purposes coaching, besides regular courses.

I'm not a native speaker but have acquired my familiarity with the language due to a period of time living in the US as a kid. I also don't have any teaching certificates, just a CPE and experience as a teacher here in Brazil, where my husband and I are currently based.

Having heard that the market's pretty competitive, especially when it comes to being certified and a native speaker (both qualities which I do not possess), I was quite surprised having been called for an interview - and even more so when I was told that the job description also included (partial) airfare reimbursement and that they'd be willing to arrange for a visa for my husband as well.

Anyways, I'd just like to hear from anyone if they've had any prior contact with this specific school or if the case specifics seem well within the range of normality. I appreciate everyone's help in advance and sorry for the long post!
Mariel
Registered Member

Re: Employment in Italy

Unread postby alextj » 05 Jun 2013, 14:30

Hi Mariel,

I can't comment on Connor specifically - they're a competitor of ours here in Milan, so it's not my place.

Your teaching experience probably counts for a lot, and if I remember correctly they have an induction day or similar in any case for new teacher, as they have a specific method to follow.

Before arriving in Italy it's a good idea to check out these FAQs on teaching here, especially the ones about contracts and taxes: http://www.tjtaylor.net/FAQs

I hope they help,
Alex
alextj
Registered Member

Re: Employment in Italy

Unread postby MilanInglese » 29 Jul 2013, 20:51

Connors are good if you're an unqualified teacher. They accept more or less anybody, give them a week's training and then send them out to teach people who believe they are being taught by experienced mothertongue teachers.

Their 'method' like those of so many of the schools in the area is empty. The connor method consists (or did until 2 years ago) of using the same books as everybody else, but adding a TEMPO block - a few minutes each lesson on telephone, email, meetings, presentations and "optimisation". All this can be condensed into a dozen sheets of A4, taught in a few hours and will be used on every sucker, regardless of what he or she actually needs from his or her lessons. The company is run by a conceited, arrogant man called Paul and his sidekick dos. They talk to teachers as if they were teaching bum-wiping to mentally deficient donkeys and provide the best motivation I've ever found to push a teacher towards working for him or her self.

Like all the other schools in Milan, my friend, avoid them like the plague. Check out which of them have shut down this year without paying teachers, how many have failed to pay teachers but not had the manners to shut down.. You'll find the names if you look online.
MilanInglese
Registered Member

Return to Jobs Discussion - Europe