Teaching in Thailand - Course Advice

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

geewalls

Teaching in Thailand - Course Advice

Unread post by geewalls »

Hi,

This summer I'm planning on taking a combined Tefl Course with the intention of working in Thailand by the end of the year. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I understand that a CELTA qualification is more highly regarded than an online course.

However, I have worked in Sri Lanka for 5 weeks, teaching english at least 6 hours per week. I was just wondering if you think this will be enough to not have to do the CELTA course? I also have an English degree. I understand that schools in Thailand are a lot more...lets say relaxed about who they employ. Has anyone had any experiences with this? Any advice would be appreciated!

Georgina
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Teaching in Thailand - Course Advice

Unread post by Susan »

The research you have done is correct: the CELTA is the most highly regarded.

In answer to your question, think about it from another point of view. If you wanted to get your hair cut or your car repaired, would you prefer someone with a qualification or someone who did the job for five weeks in Sri Lanka?

Of course, some students and schools will be happy with a teacher without teaching qualifications. It always comes down to that choice. Your choice is: do you want to work in that type of school, with that type of student? I'd say that if you want to make a career out of TEFL, a serious qualification is essential. If you don't want to make a career out of it, then that's a different matter.

Susan
becki

Re: Teaching in Thailand - Course Advice

Unread post by becki »

I completely agree with Susan. It's not only about having the qualification to get the job, but the skills you will learn and be able to use once you have the job.

I've worked in Thailand at a few different places, and I've found that they are becoming a lot pickier about who they are hiring. I think having a CELTA is a minimum requirement for most schools.

All the best,
Becki
EFL Sensei: Free EFL/ESL Lessons For Teaching English Overseas
http://www.eflsensei.com