Teaching English as a couple in China / Vietnam

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

stebec

Teaching English as a couple in China / Vietnam

Unread post by stebec »

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to work together teaching English in either China or Vietnam.

We are an English couple living in the UK as wish to start teaching in February 2013.

We have fully researched our chances of getting a teaching job in South Korea and after much debate decided to look at teaching elsewhere as we are not married.

We are currently looking at China and Vietnam but are struggling to find credible information on ESL/TEFL teaching in China. Most websites either don't specify whats included or do not reply to emails etc.

Vietnam is a whole other story, any research we have done has turned up nothing, except for a few recommendations to just 'show up and wait for a job'. To us this seems pretty reckless as we currently have jobs at home.

We are hoping to teach in schools that are very close to each other and live together in an apartment within a good distance of the schools.

Is there any specific sites that we may have missed that will provide worthwhile information on both China and Vietnam?

We are looking for information on Teaching as a couple, what a school would provide and credible recruiters that will help instead of just passing on details and expectinga fee.

Thank you in advance.

Stephen & Rebecca
jenniece

Re: Teaching English as a couple in China / Vietnam

Unread post by jenniece »

Visit http://teachinvietnam.org for information for predeparture to Vietnam.
This is a New job offer from Vietnam - Kinderworld Education Group
ELF Teachers at Pegasus International Uni-Center and Singapore International School
Job Level: Staff
Job Location: Ha Noi, Vietnam
Salary: negotiable
Required Citizenship: Any
Required Education: Bachelor’s degree; TESOL or TEFL certificate (CELTA or equivalent)
Employment Type: Full-Time
jenniece

Unread post by jenniece »

TeachinVietnam.org is a platform designed with the intention of encouraging a more open and direct dialogue between Vietnamese educational organisations, and those individuals with an interest in teaching in the country. It’s founding and contributing members are all highly experienced in English teaching and educational administration in Vietnam, with the site itself a composite reflection upon the culture of the Vietnamese education system.
It provides employers the networking space to advertise vacancies, and for teachers to upload and submit resumes. Furthermore by having broad search criteria it allows for both potential employees and employers to scan the database to find exactly what they are looking for.
Working closely with partners TeachinVietnam.org also supports social educational development causes in impoverished and rural Vietnam.
job in vietnam
fotoole

Unread post by fotoole »

If you are looking for a position in China there are lots of opportunities for couples. The main choice you have to make is where you want to live and how much free time do you want.

The two companies I would recommend are Aston English and Disney English. Having worked for both before I think they are good companies to work for.

Both companies are always looking for couples. In Aston you can get six months or a year positions while Disney contracts are for one year.
Michellie

Unread post by Michellie »

Hi Stebec
I was just browsing through the forums and came across your one. My partner and I are in the same position! We would love to go to China in either January/February 2014!
So I was wondering if you and your partner ended up going and where did you go? And what agency you used?
I was also wondering if you had any other advice for us?
Worlda

Unread post by Worlda »

Sorry if I'm a bit late on this.
The best thing to do as a couple is just to look into big companies that want more then one person. When applying make sure you mention that you are a couple and will be living together and want to work in the same area. My company has 5 couples currently working for us as well as many other single teachers. If you're interested in southern China check out our website and drop me an email! www.worldaedu.com