TEFL needed with UK qualified teacher status?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

iwanm

TEFL needed with UK qualified teacher status?

Unread post by iwanm »

Hi
I hope this hasnt been discussed previously.

I am currently a teacher in the UK and hold QTS status. Can someone please inform me if I still need to complete a Tefl course, or is there another course I need to do?

Cheers
I
Last edited by Alex Case on 09 Apr 2013, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more specific title
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL needed with UK qualified teacher status?

Unread post by Alex Case »

I trained several people who already had QTS and they found the adjustment to the new teaching style/ ages/ class sizes etc very challenging at the beginning of the course and so got a lot out of it and were very positive about the experience afterwards. In terms of being ready to teach TEFL, especially smallish adult groups, it is therefore certainly worthwhile taking a standard TEFL course with at least six hours of observed teaching practice such as the CELTA.

In terms of getting a job, there are some decent schools which accept QTS instead of a TEFL cert, but I imagine even those would prefer someone with both. The majority of decent schools scan CVs for TEFL certs and have to be desperate to accept anyone without, again especially if there are adult classes.

The exception to the above is teaching your own subject (rather than EFL) in an International School, although even there I think you would benefit from experience teaching in an EFL situation (which is what most international schools have nowadays).
ronanoc

Re: TEFL needed with UK qualified teacher status?

Unread post by ronanoc »

Hi All,
I have UK Qualified Teacher Status as a primary school teacher, but i have a lot of TEFL experience in the past to draw from. I also have a degree in English and History, with a minor in Linguistics.

I was interested to know if my old TEFL courses would still be valid now, as I want to teach English in South America, and I don't really fancy doing a month-long course if I don't have to.

I did an i-to-i short TEFL course back in 2003, and a 2-week Berlitz English Language instructor course in 2004. I worked for Berlitz in Germany for 2 and a half months, then worked for a few different language schools in London for a year before leaving TEFL and going into primary and special Needs teaching.

I wanted to know if many schools in South America would take me on with these qualifications and experience, or if I would need to do another CELTA or Trinity TESOL course?

Thanks
Ronan