TELF OPTIONS??

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

richharry

TELF OPTIONS??

Unread post by richharry »

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Warsaw, Poland this Summer and I am interested in taking a teaching course beforehand. I realise CELTA is probably the best option although I'm not sure I'll be able to fit one in before I leave. Is a TEFL course -weekend and on- line worth considering? I would expect Warsaw to be the place with the most jobs but almost the most competition.

Any help would be gratefully recieved. Also, if anyone knows of any contacts in Warsaw regarding teaching English jobs, or has moved there previously to find teaching work then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Rich
chrisw

Re: TELF OPTIONS??

Unread post by chrisw »

I would highly recommend taking a course in the country or at least the location where you are interested in teaching. Even if you take a TEFL course back home, the provider will probably only have a few school contacts in Poland to share with you. You won't get any visa assistance, housing assistance, living assistance and you won't know anyone in the area to help you adjust.
Most courses abroad help with these things and they are invaluable to you for your success. My advice is take a course in Poland. Get in contact with the provider and check to see if the majority of their graduates are finding work post course. It's a pretty easy request and the school should be networked enough with their alums to supply you with this information.

Cheers,
Chris Westergaard
Chris Westergaard
The Language House
richharry

Thanks Chris

Its something to think about. Won't really need assistance with housing etc as I'll be moving their with my girlfriend who is from Warsaw. Still might make getting a job and integrating a bit easier.

cheers
Rich
Charlmoon

Unread post by Charlmoon »

Hi Rich,
I'd definitely second the idea of getting your training done in the place where you want to work. Some training centers may also be able to offer you employment afterwards.

As for choosing between the CELTA and an online course, I'd say it really depends on your attitude towards TEFL and your reasons for getting the certification. If you are only planning to teach English for a short while, and really just need a piece of paper, then some employers will be happy with an online course and it might suit your purpose. If, however, you want to have more job options and you actually want to know how to be able to teach, then the CELTA will be really helpful. Teaching is complicated and difficult, but good initial training will go a long way towards making you a competent and effective teacher. It's been 5 years since I got my CELTA, and I'm still constantly learning about TEFL, the English language, my students' languages, and how learning works. The training was the beginning of a fantastic journey for me - hopefully it will be for you too!

All the best,
Char
Early Years English - support and resources for young English language learners. www.earlyyearsenglish.wordpress.com
richharry

Thanks Char

As I'll be new to teaching ideally I'd like to take a tefl course -on-line and classroom based- then proceed to CELTA should I enjoy it and wish to take it further. CELTA seems a lot of money and time for something that I'm not 100% sure I'll fit into.
It's definitely something I'd like to do, just want to test the water slightly before jumping in.

Thanks for your help

Rich