Developing as a teacher

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

trainee

Developing as a teacher

Unread post by trainee »

Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance on how I can develop as an ESL teacher since I don't get any professional development help in my academy. I'm particularly interested in improving my exam classes and I've found online courses run by Cambridge that I'm interested in taking. Can anyone give me anymore advice?

Thanks
becki

Re: Developing as a teacher

Unread post by becki »

Let's see...

You could see if there are any IELTS testing centers in your area and train to become an examiner. This could help with your exam classes.

Also, you could find out if there are any national/local ESL groups or associations in your area. It's always helpful to have a support network of ESL professionals.

I found this book to be a great help. Brown, H. D. (2007). Teaching by principals, an interactive approach to language pedagogy. White Plains, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.

All the best,
Becki
EFL Sensei: Free EFL/ESL Lessons For Teaching English Overseas
http://www.eflsensei.com
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

There must be at least something here that you could do:
https://www.tefl.net/elt/articles/caree ... d-for-elt/
Charlmoon

Unread post by Charlmoon »

I've found that recording my lessons (on my phone) is really helpful. I listen back to them and can often see things I could have done better that I didn't notice at the time. I've also been trying to pick a teaching strategy (eg questioning, wait time, eliciting vocabulary) and recording myself to see how well I actually do it. The only thing you should check is the privacy requirements for recording lessons. I work with kindergarteners in the U.S, and don't need to get permission to record audio as long as it is for self study only. It will probably vary depending on where you are located though, so check first.
-Charlotte
Early Years English - support and resources for young English language learners. www.earlyyearsenglish.wordpress.com