ESL Video Project

Discussion about teaching ESL to children

Moderator: Joe

gpfawkes

ESL Video Project

Unread post by gpfawkes »

I have been noticing a lot of posts (on the Korean foreign teacher forum that I frequent) of teachers having a project where a group of students work together to create a video in English. What do you guys think of this? Is it a good thing to do with a class?
brenbrennan

Re: ESL Video Project

Unread post by brenbrennan »

I think that anything that steps away from reliance on a textbook is beneficial for Ss. YLs especially are much more comfortable with technology that adults give them credit for.

Why not show them a BBC Tweenies cartoon (just 1 min or so) from Youtube. Show it 2 or 3 times, highlight the language with some quick activities and then get them to recreate/re-enact what they saw. They could even dress up for this. Or at least make simple cut-out masks that resemble the characters they saw. YL LOOOOOOVE masks.

Very important first though!!!!! Make sure that you get authorisation from your DoS first about videoing children. Maybe do the same with the parents, or even written permission.

There might also be some national legislation about data protection, so ensure that you're not doing anything that trespasses into troublesome waters from a legal standpoint.

All that being good, have a great time with it.

Bren
Charlmoon

Re: ESL Video Project

Unread post by Charlmoon »

I think that anything that steps away from reliance on a textbook is beneficial for Ss.
Absolutely! I think it sounds like a great idea, although I definitely second the point of getting permission first, whether you are going to put it up on the web or not. In the UK, where I trained, regulations around filming, photographing and recording children are very strict. Not sure what it's like in Korea or elsewhere, but definitely worth finding out rather than risk a lawsuit.
Early Years English - support and resources for young English language learners. www.earlyyearsenglish.wordpress.com