Prospective ESL Teacher seeking guidance

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Prospective ESL Teacher seeking guidance

Unread postby RavinDave » 23 Feb 2013, 09:00

Hey everyone, I am new to these forums but I am glad I found it because there is a lot of helpful information regarding scammers and such. I have some concerns about teaching in Asia (possibly China or Taiwan) I hope this community can address. I am 23 years old with a Bachelor's Degree and I am almost finished with an online TEFL course. I have been contacting those businesses in Taiwan like HESS and JOY about teaching there but I have not heard back. I'm starting to think it's because I don't fit the profile of looking "White". I'm Cambodian-American and fairly dark skinned with black hair. I did some research on that and a lot of people say it's a lot harder to look for a job if you aren't white, is this true? Also with so many warnings and cautions about dealing with scammers, does anyone from this community have any recommendations on how I can approach this journey to teach abroad. Thanks in advance.
RavinDave
Registered Member

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia