Contemplating doing a 15 week ONLINE CELTA course.

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

TommyJ

Contemplating doing a 15 week ONLINE CELTA course.

Unread post by TommyJ »

Just want to get some one's advice. There is an online version of the CELTA course in which only 1 week is face to face (in which I will have to travel to Dublin to do). The course is 15 weeks which suits me alot because it's a well paced course.
However, a friend of mine says he thinks that the clear advantage of doing a face to face course is that you can practice within a group from your class. He thinks that the Online course sounds like a rip off. He also said that when it comes to getting interviews from employers, employers might prefere if you did a full face-to-face course.

Im suprised to find that there is no online forums that have discussed the ONLINE CELTA course.
Here is a link to the ONLINE CELTA course :
http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams-and- ... ake-celta/

If anyone has done the ONLINE CELTA course, can they please tell me how they find it and if they regret not doing the face to face course instead.

Im afraid to go about a 4 week intensive CELTA course because I have learning difficulties due to being diagnosed with dyspraxia and dyslexia (although I only have minor dyslexia).

Im also considering doing a 7 week face to face CELTA course, which is decribed as 'semi-intensive' from my local university. If anyone has done a 7 week version of the course, can they tell me how they found it.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Tommy.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Contemplating doing a 15 week ONLINE CELTA course.

Unread post by Alex Case »

"Online CELTA" is a complete misnomer, because it's actually a blended course (as you say) and your cert will just say "CELTA". If you are worried about future employment, just write "CELTA" and the name of the centre in Dublin on your CV. However, I would agree that face to face is better. Obviously having more chances to practise on your fellow trainees will help (this will be part of the one week intensive course anyway), the main thing for me is seeing the trainer do the things that he/ she is talking about while running the input sessions and so experiencing TEFL methods like eliciting, warmer games and brainstorming from the other side.

Depending on where you are, you also might have the option of doing it part time face to face in between three and six months.
TommyJ

Unread post by TommyJ »

I was considering doing a 10 week part time, but it doesnt start till september. Ill still consider it anyway.

Would you consider a 1 week to be too short when trying to practice with other students along with the 6 hours of teaching classes?

Also, would you consider doing the course in a college (face to face) be better for communicating with lectures about enquierys? Or would you think it doesnt matter? I mean you can simply talk to them by knocking on the door rather than emailing them, phoning them, etc.

Maybe im asking questions that noboby knows the answers to, but im glad to get anyones perspective. Thanks for your opinion Alex.
brenbrennan

Unread post by brenbrennan »

Tommy,
I would always go for the face to face option every time if I were you.

Every teacher that I have ever met who did an online thing, said it was rubbish. I can't think of any serious teacher that I know of who started with an online version.

It's not simply the improved teaching practice that you get to experience, but also fellow trainees group bonding, swapping ideas, 'in the same boat' feelings that mean the face-to-face option wins out always.

I'm sure that if you explicitly state to all concerned that you suffer from learning difficulties, then accommodations will be made by all and it won't negatively affect your training.