CertEDI versus CELTA/CertTESOL to work in Hong Kong

Discussion about courses, qualifications and teacher training. Please do not advertise TEFL courses here.

Moderator: Susan

CertEDI versus CELTA/CertTESOL to work in Hong Kong

Unread postby LouiseTJ » 01 Feb 2013, 15:11

Hi
I'm considering a change of career (or at least a break in my career to spend time working abroad). I'm a qualified solicitor but have had thoughts of teaching for a long time. Im keen to do some teaching English as a foreign language abroad and have looked into the different courses. I work full time so cannot do the CElTA full time course, and I can't find a part time course in my area (leeds) to start before september. Ive looked into the Trinity CertTESOL courses but can't find if they can be done part time - does anyone know if they are offered part time?

My other option is to do I-to-i EDI course which they say is the equivalent of a level 5 qualification (ie CELTA) but is available at weekends. It's accredited by Ofqual but I'm worried that if I do this course my options are limited for finding decent work abroad - I'm particularly interested in working in Hong Kong. If I do the EDI course will it enable me to work in schools in HK or just language centres? How much can I expect to earn out there? I'd be very grateful for any information or advice that anyone can give me!
Thank you
Last edited by Alex Case on 01 Feb 2013, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more specific title
LouiseTJ
Registered Member

Return to Teacher Training Discussion