Experience needed before pursuing a DELTA? + Centres.

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

ALNDED

Experience needed before pursuing a DELTA? + Centres.

Unread post by ALNDED »

Hello, new user here with a few questions regarding the DELTA. I'd be grateful for any help!

I'm wondering how much experience is really needed before applying for a DELTA course in the UK. After reading the Cambridge website and the websites of some of the providers, it seems that the general minimum requirement is 2 years full time teaching. However, I stalked/browsed as many Linkedin pages of people who have done the DELTA in the UK as I could find, and they all had at least 5 years of teaching experience before they did the diploma. So, would 2 years full time teaching really be enough to get onto a DELTA course, or are they actually looking for more experienced teachers? Does anyone have any advice, or are there any successful DELTA applicants with the two year minimum requirement? Could those who have done the DELTA perhaps outline the experience they had before applying? Additionally, the requirements usually specify FT (from what I have seen). Would 4 years part time be considered equivalent? Or are only FT teachers generally considered?

Lastly, if anyone could recommend a good DELTA centre in the UK that would be great. I realise that the courses are all the same, but wanted to hear the experience people have had at certain centres, with certain tutors etc. I've seen Alex's post with an up to date list of DELTA providers but can't seem to find many reviews online. I read an article somewhere too (can't remember where now; if I find it I'll link to it) where one employer said that he looked at where the candidate was trained/ educated, despite the courses being (more or less) the same everywhere. So if there are any centres that are particularly recommended/look good on a CV, please let me know.

Apologies for the long post, and if these questions have been asked before. I did do a search but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough!

Thanks.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Experience needed before pursuing a DELTA? + Centres.

Unread post by Alex Case »

Are you thinking of blended, part time face to face or intensive face to face?

I'd say 3 years full time is more realistic. To start with, they usually expect you to have done a good range of levels in that time and to have done a fair amount of teacher development, e.g. peer obs, and it's quite difficult to squeeze all of that into two years. They can also be quite fussy about their pass rates (although seemingly less so recently and less so than with the CELTA), so individual centres may indeed reject people who meet the minimum requirement from Cambridge - I experienced that myself 10 or so years ago with IH London.

If your four years part time adds up to the same number of classroom hours as two years full time, it may well be that it is better, because at least you had time to reflect on your classroom experiences.
ALNDED

Unread post by ALNDED »

Hi Alex, thanks for your response. It's good to know what they are looking for because the entry requirements often seem vague.

With regards to the type of course I am looking for, I would like face to face. I am leaning more towards the intensive course, just to do it as quickly as possible. However, I have heard that the part time course is generally thought of as a better choice, because of the option to maintain a teaching position alongside and to implement what is being learned. I think I'm OK with either course, providing that the centre is a good one. If there is a centre that is particularly highly regarded that only does one of the two options, then I would be happy to do the DELTA there. Any centres in England or Scotland that you can recommend?

Thanks!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

I'd generally agree that part time is better if you can do it. People are usually limited to ones near where they are presently working - do you mean you are thinking of moving to be near a Delta course and then finding a job while you are there?
ALNDED

Unread post by ALNDED »

Yes, that's right, I'm willing to consider moving for the course. I thought to see where the recommended centres were, look into the job opportunities in the area beforehand, and then apply to both the course and some jobs and see how it goes!
ALNDED

Unread post by ALNDED »

So... any good centres? Anyone?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

As you only usually take the Delta once, I don't really know how anyone can comment on what the best centres are. Probably the best indication is their pass rates, which you'd have to contact them for. I'm sure centres would be happy to put you in touch with people who have previously taken the course if you wanted to find out more that way.
footballmad

Unread post by footballmad »

Hi. The Delta is a very demanding course, and the Cambridge Handbook leaves a lot to be desired in terms of some basic guidance for potential candidates. Regarding teaching experience, it is useful to have been teaching full-time for 2-3 years, but more important than that is your academic ability. The Delta is a Masters Degree level course, and particularly in Module Two you need plenty of academic ability - not just classroom know-how. Assuming you tick the boxes so far, you will still need experienced, dedicated and persistent tutors. So choosing a good Centre is vital. I recommend (from personal experience...and success!) IH London, and ITTC in Bournemouth. The Distance Delta for Modules One and Three (run by IH London) is a really excellent way to do the Dip, and is cost-effective. Module Two, frankly, is a killer on many fronts. You really need to be teaching a group of (the same) students for the duration. Remember that the Cambridge Assessor will assess your final lesson (in module Two) and the accompanying assignment (essay). If you don't pass these....despite all your other coursework during the course.....then you are dead ! Beware: many candidates fail. Cambridge say as many as 50%. I suggest you ask Cambridge about Pass / Referral/ Fail rates by centre before you decide anything. My personal advice is don't do the Delta abroad where standards and logistics may make a difficult course even worse. On a positive note, the course curriculum is excellent, and if you like teaching you will find all the books and research fascinating. Good luck.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Good luck contacting Cambridge about anything... As I said above, the only way to compare pass rates is to contact each centre and ask them.
jenniferlea

Unread post by jenniferlea »

Hi :)
I'm currently studying for the DELTA at Bath University (9 month course, input sessions every Tuesday) and it's fantastic. The tutors are excellent, very supportive and helpful, and the resources are great.
Another good thing about studying in his area is the amount of language schools around the Bath/Bristol area.
I only had three summer schools under my belt when I started the course, and I found that was plenty of experience - although you have got to find a job and be teaching regularly while you're studying.
I hope this helps!
Jen
ALNDED

Unread post by ALNDED »

Hi :-) I wanted to thank you all for your comments. Your ideas are all extremely helpful. I will contact the various centres for their pass rates and take it from there I think, but I will definitely be keeping an eye out on IH London and Bath uni! Thanks again.