E-communication - a real company or a scam?

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

sjbeale

E-communication - a real company or a scam?

Unread post by sjbeale »

Hi there - I would like to ask if anyone knows anything about this 'online company' as I have recently been in contact with them and had an 'interview'. I had told them in an email previously that I was based in Indonesia & was looking for work online. They didn't mention this beforehand and seemed very interested in arranging an interview. However, during the interview, they revealed that it was not possible to hire someone who was based in Indonesia (as I suspected, they clearly had not read my e-mail properly if at all).

Then, when I asked the lady (who made sure I had a webcam but would not broadcast one herself & did not give her name) about payment the line mysteriously went dead. Then I called her back and she told me that could not discuss this information. She quickly said that she was sorry and had another client to deal with and pretty much cut me off. It all seemed VERY unprofessional, rude & abrupt. I would like to know if anyone knows anything about this 'company'. Please take a look at the links below (inc. their very strange / terrible / basic website - bizarre considering they are an online school?!)

my.jobstreet.com/jobs/2009/6/default/50/23794.htm?fr=J - their website (which says that they are based in the Philippines & then Japan (?!)

tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=42562 - their advert on tefl.com ( Can't find a way of reporting the ad to the tefl.com administrators)

e-communication.biz/modules/pico/index.php/english_teacher_page.html - their webpage & video in English

youtube.com/watch?v=LkXHVMvp1rA&feature=player_embedded - a 'wonderful' video explaining how they work

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=id&geocode=&q=1-34-13-4F,+Takadanobaba,+Shinjuku,+Tokyo&sll=35.704627,139.702296&sspn=0.038543,0.077162&ie=UTF8&hq=1-34-13-4F,+Takadanobaba,&hnear=Shinjuku,+Tokyo,+Jepang&t=h&z=14
The link for the (FICTITIOUS?) address provided on their website.
seanaway

Re: E-communication - a real company or a scam?

Unread post by seanaway »

Hi SJBeale

Looks like you've found a possible cowboy outfit ok. Funny how they can get away with posting ads on reputable sites and we have few ways to counter it except by doing what you did - let everyone know on the forums.

I reckon the lady you talked to was probably a poor woman who was an outsource worker and hadn't even been told enough to answer your questions.

If you want to work online why not set up your own online business? I got fed up working for guys like that and went into IM for myself. I plan now to teach only as much as I want to.

John
sjbeale

Unread post by sjbeale »

Yeh, it had scam written all over it - does anybody know how to report such a thing to tefl.com as I can't seem to find a way!!

Please could you give me some pointers on setting up my own online business as it is something that would appeal greatly to me!! Thanks in advance! PM me if you like!

Regards,
Steve
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

tefl.com appears to be simply an advertising portal. They probably wave all responsiblilty for their advertisers and as long as they are getting revenue from the adverts, they are probably not interested in hearing about complaints.
sjbeale

Unread post by sjbeale »

add these to the list of guises for their 'company' ;

E-communication, Inc. and also another website - e-communication.tv/
or you can see the scams they are up to on hotfrog.ph/Companies/E-mmunications

I hope they are found out for the frauds that they are
anaisss

Unread post by anaisss »

Hi there, I was intervewed 5 days ago for this ¨company¨ and everything looked so strange. The interview, the questions, the camera (the woman that interviewed me would not use the camera to let me see her). I came across this forum while searching for info about e-communication.

My question is, what do they get out if these interviews?? Anybody has an idea? It seems so strange that they keep interviewing people that they would not employ eventually. But why all that? Do they get anything from the Skype interview? So strange, please if anybody has an explanation I would appreciate.

Regards,

Anna.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

Maybe they think after a sham interview you'll be more likely to send personal information. There are quite a few examples of identity theft scams pretending to be TEFL schools, and this could well be one.

Then again, there are plenty of tacky TEFL schools with crummy sites in Japan, so it could just be one of them...
ginarts

Unread post by ginarts »

I recently applied with them, but then thought I would do a search to see if anyone posted anything about teaching with them. These comments so far do not look promising. Has anyone had any more recent experience with this company?
eflteacher

Unread post by eflteacher »

Hello:
Responding to Dec 2012 question, I also sent my resume to E-Com and after a week or so, they told me they were impressed with my cv and they would to set up an interview, so they gave me some date time options and a skype address they can call me.
Finally I decided to email them back with a possible dates and times they could contact me and we agreed it will take place Jan, Sat 19. So lets see what happens ...who knows ?, after reading all the bad reviews I am a little scare. I was just wondering how they pay you if you are not in Japan, (their website says they pay 18 to 21 usd to teachers outside Japan)...if it is true....I don´t know yet. I will certainly post the outcome of the interview...Bye to all!
edenlindsay

Unread post by edenlindsay »

Hello EFLTeacher - What was the outcome of your interview with e-com? I just sent in an on line app and then, like the others, decided to look for any comments about them.
Olfita

Unread post by Olfita »

Hey there,

I've been wandering around and got really surprised to stubble upon a topic about the company I work for! Well, I do understand you can be mistrustful over some companies especially with online ones, but to draw from the fact you didn't got hired the conclusion it is not existing?...Seriously guys? Ain't teachers supposed to spread the truth? I'm kind of disappointed I must say.

By the way I'm a French teacher there and I'm currently based in Tokyo, I live in Shibuya which is 4 train stations far from the company. For that my interview haven't been conducted over Skype but at the office directly. So I could be sure from the start the office was real.

According the address first of all either you can type it in Japanese and so you can put the code before the street and city, or you type in it roman letters and then you have to stick to the western style so to put the numbers after the city. You can't just copy-paste it the way you did and expect it to get shown.

Anyways, If you want to be sure the company DOES exist and you can't get over it through maps (and sincerely, if you ever been to Japan you know you can't pretend finding a Japanese address with Maps!!)
You can just have a look at the teachers list on the website > http://www.myecom.net/

You also have a list of the numbers of hours students studied here > http://www.myecom.net/modules/2kh/

and all the videos done by the (Fake? Lol) teachers here > http://www.myecom.net/modules/pico0/ind ... t0002.html

All the languages communities at > http://www.myecom.net/modules/xsns/

Or much more easier you can type the company's name "E-com" on Youtube and you'll be overwhelmed by the educative contended produced by the company...!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ecomenglish
(for the copy-past addicts you can copy this オンライン英会話のEcom英語ネット to get straight to it!)

You have a channel for each language, here is the English one > http://www.youtube.com/user/ecomenglish (Pretty enjoyable overall!)

To put it in a nutshell, not because you DIDN'T got hired means the company DO NOT exist! LOL
Otherwise, you can just post a topic saying Havard doesn't exist :D lol!

Why don't you get out of your bubble and think outside the box of those overly-suspicious ones for once? Ask at least Youtube or Google before assuming things like you all did ! :)

And seriously, I do like my company, it's pretty cool actually. :D

Sincerely,

Olfa