Can't go to China after signing contract

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

junglejoe

Can't go to China after signing contract

Unread post by junglejoe »

I would love some help please because I recently had some personal problems that will almost certainly prevent me from going to China to teach English next month (FEB2013). However I am worried because I signed a teaching contract with a school on Friday 4th Jan. I had no intention of letting anybody down and I did not rush into any of the procedures etc. Has anybody had any experience of something like this as I would be very grateful for some advice as I already have a lot to worry about and I basically don't know what to do!

Thanks
Joe
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: Can't go to China after signing contract

Unread post by Susan »

From the school's point of view, the sooner you tell them, the better. If they haven't paid you anything or bought your ticket yet, and if they understand human lives, you should be able to get out of it. At the end of the day, it depends on whether they understand and let you out of the contract and on the law of the country under which the contract is drawn up.
junglejoe

Unread post by junglejoe »

It is a Chinese contract, it has a breach penalty of 5000yuan (~£500), I have received no money from them and I haven't got a visa yet or paid for a flight yet. People must have changing circumstances a lot so I hope they will be forgiving and understanding but I'm just worried.

Thank you for the reply
Joe
JulieJohnson

Unread post by JulieJohnson »

Hi Joe,

I worked in China a lot and saw a lot of teachers come/go/never arrive. The penalties were never enforced or even mentioned (even though they were stated in contracts).

As Susan said, I'm sure they will simply appreciate you telling them of your changes in circumstances asap so they can make other arrangements in good time. It happens.

Hope this helps,
Julie Johnson