Have teaching experience...would online cert do?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

ruthless

Have teaching experience...would online cert do?

Unread post by ruthless »

Hi Folks
I am considering an 140 hr online course from TEFL Cambridge.

I understand online courses aren't the best, as they don't give you the practical side of things. However, I current teach part-time short courses. (Film Studies and Screenwriting to young people and adults.)

Would my teaching experience plus an online certificate be sufficient in gaining employment?

Or do I hold tight and be utterly miserable for another year and save my pennies for a CELTA course?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
R
pokedmund
Rising Star

Re: Have teaching experience...would online cert do?

Unread post by pokedmund »

Depends where you are thinking of going to.

If it's China, then you should be ok. If it's Europe, maybe not so.

Do you have a degree? Have you thought about your visa requirements? Where are you going to?
Former Native English Teacher in Hong Kong for 3 years.
British Born Chinese.
ruthless

Hmm, I had hoped for Europe, specifically France. But very open to anywhere and have thought about China, South Korea, Vietnam...
I have a BA Honours degree.
Haven't got as far as thinking about Visa requirements yet - kinda figured I should get a qualification first! :)
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

Are you caucasian? If yes, then China's pretty easy to work for teaching English. It's great to hear you have some teaching experience and if your headed to rural China, then reading about tefl through a book/internet or having a good knowledge of how to teach English in a classroom to foreigners should be fine.

But people have mention that some areas of China can be pretty dodgy and there are loads of scams against foreign teachers.

I had a quick look at the website you posted. It's up to you if you want to take this. Personally, I wouldn't. I just don't like the look of these websites and to me they just say "overpriced".

Why don't you try applying to schools now. See if any are willing to take you now or soon. If they'll take you on now then you don't need to do an online cert or a CELTA. Plus, they'll be able to tell you what their requirements are as well as all countries, cities, institutions are different.
Former Native English Teacher in Hong Kong for 3 years.
British Born Chinese.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

It could well be possible to get a job in Paris; but not one of the best paid ones. There are many private language schools whose teachers go into companies to teach adults. This means that a lot of your day is spent in public transport.

If you want to make a real career out of teaching, it's definitely worth doing a face-to-face cert at some point.
ruthless

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, from what you and other's I've spoken to say, the online-only cert's won't get me far. I am now looking into the option of a combined online and classroom course.

Thanks!