course book for elementary adult student

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

britgirl

course book for elementary adult student

Unread post by britgirl »

Hello

I will start teaching a private class in January , and am looking for a good course book to use. My prospective student is a housewife, and plans to go on holiday to the US for her 40th birthday in a year's time. I have used New Headway Elementary in the past, but the text printed in the books doesn't match the examples on the CD!

Any suggestions would be most welcome

thank you!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: course book for elementary adult student

Unread post by Alex Case »

Headway is fine - you've probably got different editions of the book and CD, it can get very confusing now they are up to New Headway 3rd edition or something...

At Elementary level my personal favourite is New English File 1.
britgirl

Unread post by britgirl »

Thanks, I will look into that. You're right, having a CD that doesn't correspond to the text is not an awful lot of help. I'll remember to check next time!

Have a good day
becki

Unread post by becki »

If you are going to use Headway, I would recommend American Headway since your student is going to the U.S. I used it as a course book at a college in Japan and it was fine.

Although for a private lesson, Interchange might be better. There is a new fourth edition that is up-to-date and relevant to current times. It has a user-friendly layout and a nice balance of communicative activities and exercises.