Is Korea still so ...?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

TroySantos

Is Korea still so ...?

Unread post by TroySantos »

HIYA!

I have been reading an awful lot of horribly horrifying horror stories from teachers. But the majority are from several years ago. The stories and everythning seem to have really decreased since say, sometime in 2004. How have things stayed the same since then?! How have things changed since then?

I really only consider working in the far south because I'm useless in cold weather. One winter near Seoul was enough for me. I did a winter English camp this past January.

I'll go back for a summer camp this July. I plan on looking around afterwards and / or while I'm at the camp. I'm wondering if I'll even be able to look around during the camp.

What do you think, is there some advantage to just being in the country while looking for work, even if I won't be able to visit the schools.

Thanks,
Troy.
ruth1966

Unread post by ruth1966 »

Hi Troy,
Yes, you'll always read horror stories out of Korea, however I think things are getting better. I also think that people sometimes get a kick out of posting negative stuff and maybe embellishing it a little. I just spent the last three years over there and met loads of foreign teachers who were doing just fine, but that rarely makes the news, eh? No doubt some people have difficulty due to a lack of research on their part, difficulty adjusting to the culture, and in some cases just bad luck with their choice of employers.
Will you have any free time while you are back in Korea? If you do some research it may well be worth taking a day trip to a potential employer. Do you want to leave Korea and then come back at a later date? Could you spare some time after the summer camp to engage in your search? If the answer to some of these questions is no, then there will be little advantage in being there as far as I can see.
Good luck !
Ruth
http://tefldaddy.com/Korea_Discussison_Board.htm
TroySantos

Unread post by TroySantos »

HIYA!

I've just applied for my visa and asked for 35 days in the country. That means I'll have maybe a week or so to go to Jeju Island and poke around the schools. I feel that I probably won't have much time to do this on the weekends during the camp. I think we're expected to be "on duty" (tee hee) part of the time. Actually, that'll be fine. Being with the kids in a more relaxed atmosphere should be more fun.

I want to ask for recommendations on Jeju Island. So I'll do that in a new post.

Thanks so much Ruth for your help.

Your from Canada, eh?!

I'm your southern neighbor, sort of.
Troy.
ruth1966

Unread post by ruth1966 »

:lol:
No, from Boston Mass...
Ruth
http://tefldaddy.com/Korea_Discussison_Board.htm