TEFL Newbie - Looking for General Guidance

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

LaurieD

TEFL Newbie - Looking for General Guidance

Unread post by LaurieD »

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests I'm new to the whole TEFL world. I've recently started an online TEFL course, 140 hours including the 20 hours 'practical'. I realise it isn't a comprehensive CELTA qualification or anything, but at this stage I wanted a basic starter so I can try this route out.

Anyway, basically I'm a recent University graduate, so I have obtained an honours degree and I think I'd really enjoy the chance to visit different countries and gain some teaching experience.

At this stage, as I've just started the course, should I hold off on applying for positions, or will they take into account that I'm working towards the final certificate?

Is there any particular locations/Schools that people would recommend, or ones which I should avoid?

In terms of applying, I also wondered what the best approach was? I have a number of different CVs that I have used in the past for jobs, but I wanted to tailor one specifically for this. I'm undecided as to whether or not teaching would be a long term career for me, but I imagine they'd be more favourable if I at least suggested that it's something I'm seriously considering?

What is the competition like for places incidentally?

Any other advice would be most welcome. I'm in the process of trying to rent out my place here in Scotland, so I'd hope find a placement sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance,

Laurie
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Newbie - Looking for General Guidance

Unread post by Alex Case »

Which countries are you thinking about and when will you finish your course?
LaurieD

Re: TEFL Newbie - Looking for General Guidance

Unread post by LaurieD »

Alex Case wrote:Which countries are you thinking about and when will you finish your course?
Hi Alex,

To be honest I'm undecided on the country at the moment, I'm quite open. So far I've quite liked the look of maybe Mexico or Spain, partly because Spanish appeals to me as a potential second language.

Japan also interests me, but I know that the living costs are quite high there - although this is partly supplemented by higher TEFL salaries from what I can see.

Not sure when I'll finish it, I'm aiming to do it by the end of next month though, as I have a lot of free time. Only thing is I've found myself quite busy with letting agents just now trying to get my flat on the rental market.

Laurie