In need of advice about TEFL without a degree

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Robbie

In need of advice about TEFL without a degree

Unread post by Robbie »

Hello all,

I've recently enrolled on an EDI CertTEFL course, a course which includes real assessed teaching practice and is accredited at the same level as CELTA. I don't have a degree at present, however I have read most of the topics on that subject both on here and on other forums so I'm aware that puts me at a significant disadvantage. I have been intending to gain a degree through the Open University for years now but it's something I've always put off, but it is something I do intend to do in the very near future.

I currently work in a UK government department and expect my job to end within the next 6-12 months due to cut backs, and have thought about TEFL for a long time without ever doing anything about it previously. My hope is that once I gain my EDI CertTEFL qualification I will be able to find employment in the TEFL worldwithout a degree, and then study for a degree distance learning part-time whilst working. Is this something that sounds feasible to those of you with experience?

I'm aware that until I gain a degree there will be limitations as to where I can work, and it may be more difficult to gain employment. Am I kidding myself thinking I can work in TEFL whilst gaining a degree?

For the record I'm 32 years old at present.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: In need of advice about TEFL without a degree

Unread post by Alex Case »

If you are very flexible about location and have low enough standards about job conditions, you will certainly find some work without a degree. Note that some countries, e.g. South Korea, won't accept distance degrees for a teaching visa.