General advice

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Leigh

General advice

Unread post by Leigh »

My name is Leigh i am 23 years old and i am educated to an A-level standard. I am tired of my job and wish to persue something completely different. I have been looking into doing a TEFL placement in China, but i have no previous teaching experience or qualifications.

Is there anyone out there who has been in the same situation, and how did they find the experience?

I am also worried that i wont be able meet the standard of work due to my lack of experience. Should this hold me back?

I would be very grateful for any help and advice,

Many thanks

Leigh.
Alia

Unread post by Alia »

Hi
i strongly encourage you to take TEFl course before teaching. From my experience, i suffered much because when i began to teach, i didnt have any experience in teaching. i spent a year to learn how to teach not to practise teaching. i didnt have a background on how to teach the four English skills. i read many articles on the internet and i attent many many workshops to learn. Now i really envy those who took TEFL course before teaching because they came to the classroom with a good background.
dont say that the superviser will help u or your colleques in the school.You have to depend on your self and to read more if u dont wann join one of TEFL courses.
good luck
ForumAngel

Unread post by ForumAngel »

I agree.

I believe a TEFL certificate is invaluable and will certainly help getting a job, not to mention what you will learn that will make you a better teacher.

TEFL is recognised the world over and I've been offered jobs in the UK and France with it so I don't think you can go wrong.

Kind Regards,
Shelley
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com