Qualified teacher status, no degree - is TEFL the next move?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

mikben

Qualified teacher status, no degree - is TEFL the next move?

Unread post by mikben »

I gained my Certificate of Education in the UK (I now live in Canada) and have been teaching for over 20 years in schools, colleges and privately. I am considering taking the TEFL course in order to do online teaching perhaps with a private language school. However, would I have a good chance of gaining employment without a degree? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I do not want to waste time going down a dead end road. Thank you for your time.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Qualified teacher status, no degree - is TEFL the next m

Unread post by Alex Case »

So, your plan is to stay in Canada and do online TEFL teaching to supplement your regular teaching job?
mikben

Unread post by mikben »

Yes that's right and I may spend some time each year in the UK with my family and, hopefully, continue with online TEFL teaching whilst I am there. Currently I offer private tuition from home (not ESL). Thanks for your help.
mikben

Unread post by mikben »

I'm still waiting for a reply. Is there anyone who can respond to this query? Thank you.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I very much doubt that employers would even ask about a degree for online teaching. Why don't you contact a few employers and ask?