Where should I start?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

haleyw

Where should I start?

Unread post by haleyw »

I've decided on doing a CELTA course abroad in January or February. I am quite flexible about where, but, I would prefer a Europen city, initially.

I'm considering Prague or a Spanish city. EBC appear to be a very good and credible. They don't have courses in Prague though, but they do in Madrid. They do offer a guaranteed job placement, which is very reassuring. Has anybody used EBC?

Also, I don't have a degree and I'm wondering how this would effect my chances of finding work, in either of theses places, if I didn't go with EBC. If so, is there anywhere else that anyone can recommended?

Thanks
Joe
Admin

Re: Where should I start?

Unread post by Joe »

What's your nationality?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
haleyw

Unread post by haleyw »

British.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

In general, and if you are seeking work in a language school rather than a university say, when a degree is required it is to enable you to get a work permit. As a citizen of the European Union you do not need a work permit to work anywhere in the EU.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :? " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

EBC offers is own course, not the Cambridge CELTA. Especially in Spain, you'd be better off with a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL. I'd also be very cautious of guaranteed job placements.
haleyw

Unread post by haleyw »

Thanks both.

Alex, why would you be cautious of this?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

I'm not saying all guaranteed jobs are bad jobs, but there are plenty of reasons to be suspicious:
- If somewhere will offer jobs to anyone with a TEFL cert, is that the kind of place anyone should want to work?
- Most of those jobs will actually accept people without certs too
- With some guaranteed job placements it is very difficult to be fussy about the job once you sign on the line
- No CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL providers offer guaranteed jobs that I know of, but you are most certainly assured of a job if you have one of those two certs

That specific provider also has other reasons for suspicion on its website, e.g. there seem to be some courses in which none of the trainers have higher qualifications that are specific to TEFL, and it even looks as if some places are one man operations.
haleyw

Unread post by haleyw »

Thanks for your response Alex.

If I do the CELTA (most likely) or TESOL in January or Feburary in Prague or Spain, how easy or difficult, do you think it will be for me to find a job? If you think it will be difficult in these places at this time of year, is there anywhere else you would recommend?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

That means you'll be looking for a job in spring, which is far from ideal in Europe because a lot of schools basically shut down for the summer. April is the beginning of the school year in lots of Asia, though.