Airfare, accomodation, and insurance

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

alexwmill

Airfare, accomodation, and insurance

Unread post by alexwmill »

Hello and thank you for reading my post. I am a new ESL teacher and at this time I am starting to plan my first trip abroad. I am considering a 6-month contract and would like to work at one of the Eastern European countries.
Could anyone who already has worked at several countries as an ESL teacher answer a few of my questions please:
1. As a rule, would airfare be paid by the employer or by the ESL treacher? If by employer, would it be customary to get reimbursed once the contract has been completed?
2. What about living accomodation? Would it be, as a rule, my expence, or would it be covered by the employer/school?
3. And finally, health and travel insurance...again the same question...would it be my responsibility to pay for it, or employer's?
Thank you so much again for reading and hopefully answering...any advise regarding the above questions would be greatly appreciated!
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Airfare, accomodation, and insurance

Unread post by Alex Case »

It really does all depend, especially on the country. When you find a job offer you are interested in, look at those factors and compare it to job ads from the same country or even city to see whether it offers what most schools do. In general, Asian schools pay all of those (though for one year contracts) and Western European schools pay none or just national insurance. Eastern Europe tends to be somewhere in between.