Taking advantage of my MA

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

MichaelH

Taking advantage of my MA

Unread post by MichaelH »

Hello,

I know I've already posted a couple of times for basic advice, but my projected plans are changing as I do more research. I'd really appreciate some advice.

I have a BA in Philosophy and an MA in Social and Political Thought, both studied on campus at universities in the UK. I am looking for a career change and I would like to see some of the world before I get too old to make the change (I'm 37). I am planning to do a CELTA course and find work abroad, then maybe consider doing a higher qualification when I've got some experience.

Will my MA help me to get a better teaching job abroad once I have done a CELTA course? What are the best countries to apply in to take advantage of this? What sort of institutions?

I am also wondering about the relative benefits of doing the CELTA course at home in Manchester or in the country where I intend to work. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Michael.
Joe
Admin

Re: Taking advantage of my MA

Unread post by Joe »

I see no benefits to doing a CELTA in the country where you intend to work. Where do you intend to work? You don't know. If you do a CELTA in country X does that mean you cannot work in country Y? I don't think so.
Susan
Top Contributor

Unread post by Susan »

I see one benefit to doing the CELTA in the country where you want to work: the tutors on the course sometimes have contacts in local schools. This can help when looking for work. This happens sometimes, not all the time; you can ask about help with career placement before signing up to a course.

Apart from that, there is no difference.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Some in-country course providers actually make more money by placing teachers than by training them. This must be a personal decision, but I have never seen the value of tying oneself to a TEFL course through their offers (sometimes "guarantees") of job placements. If you can't find work yourself with a CELTA (and two degrees) you should perhaps be looking at a different career :mrgreen:

Note that some course providers specifically refuse to offer job placements of any kind to avoid conflicts of interest.
MichaelH

Unread post by MichaelH »

Thanks for those helpful and sensible replies.

Does anyone have any response to my first question, about the best way to take advantage of my MA in a TEFL career?