I'd like some advice about INTESOL please!

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Milwr

I'd like some advice about INTESOL please!

Unread post by Milwr »

Hello!

My name is Gareth. I am interested in a particular TESOL course and I was wondering if anyone could give me a "heads-up" as to whether or not it is any good for certification and employment potential?

The company is INTESOL. I am interested in 2 of their courses. The first is the online learning Cert. TESOL with the 1 week teaching experience period (6 hours TP). Seems like a low-cost good deal to me, but I'm not sure if it is "a good deal".

They also offer the opportunity of a 4 week (intensive course?) in the UK or overseas which, covers the exact same syllabus as the above course but, with additional face-to-face tutor support/feedback etc.

They say that their courses are awarded by Ascentis which is approved by the UK's Qualifications & Curriculum Authority etc. etc. They also argue that their Cert. TESOL with the 6 hours of TP is equal to the Trinity TESOL and CELTA?

Can anyone give me some advice as to whether or not their certificate is what they say and specifically, as to whether or not their online followed by practice course is good?

Anyone with any experience of this company?

Thank you to any and all in advance!
Last edited by systematic on 04 Jun 2010, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: More appropriate title for easy reference
josef
Admin

Re: Hello, I'm new and I'd like some advice please!

Unread post by josef »

For the UK, INTESOL Worldwide Ltd is listed by Ascentis as an Ascentis Recognised Centre:
http://www.ocnw.com/Centres/tabid/69/Co ... fault.aspx

Ascentis is listed in the (UK) National Database of Accredited Qualifications:
http://www.accreditedqualifications.org.uk

The National Database of Accredited Qualifications is listed in the .gov.uk site Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation, Ofqual:
http://www.ofqual.gov.uk
systematic
Top Contributor

Re: Hello, I'm new and I'd like some advice please!

Unread post by systematic »

I have heard only good reports of their courses and I have employed people with their certificates.
Benedick

Re: I'd like some advice about INTESOL please!

Unread post by Benedick »

Jo and systematic, you both seem to imply that the company's certificates are legitimate; do you know of any cases of them being rejected? All of the job adverts that ask for a CELTA/TrinityCert for example - would they overlook the INTESOL Worldwide accreditation?
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

You could always look for job adverts that ask for INTESOL.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Benedick wrote:All of the job adverts that ask for a CELTA/TrinityCert for example - would they overlook the INTESOL Worldwide accreditation?
It's almost impossible to confirm an implied blanket statement like that. There is such a wide variety of employers and countries and situations. Some of them might insist on the CELTA/CertTESOL that they specify, especially if they already have candidates with those qualifications. Others might be more flexible, especially if their job ad states "or similar" or words to that effect.
Benedick

I am tempted to do the INTESOL Worldwide onsite programme offered by International TEFL Academy once in Istanbul, depending on whether the idea of staying and working there appeals to me. It comes to roughly the same price as the CELTA/CertTESOL courses near me in the UK, but I will be teaching Turkish students in Turkey, which is what I aim to be doing anyway - and it is "equivalent" in UK grading terms (Level 5 on National Qualifications Framework) to the aforementioned two. Does this sound sensible/reasonable?
Last edited by Joe on 28 Sep 2012, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of gratuitous URL
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

It also seems to be exactly the same price as an actual CELTA in Istanbul, which is a bit cheeky whatever its level on the NQF. I'd expect at least a little discount for being less well known. However, if you can't get a more well-known course on the dates you need it might be an option.
Benedick

Ah... didn't think of looking at doing a CELTA in Istanbul, that's far more sensible I guess. Now I am looking, any companies to watch out for?
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

No idea, I'm afraid. Just googled "CELTA Istanbul" and took a quick look at the first one which came up.