TEFL Without a Degree and Pay

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Mface

TEFL Without a Degree and Pay

Unread post by Mface »

A little back ground about me:

I tried the university thing and due to a combination of youth, immaturity and financial pressure I dropped out, so I don't have a degree, but I do have a small pile of debt blocking my way if I wanted to go back to school and get a degree.

I'm going through a really hard time these days and looking for a way to make some big changes in my life. I've been looking at the global TESOL website but I'm concerned the site is making promises they can't keep.

The website says that they guarantee work within a year and that the pay range is between 500-8000 USD per month. What I'm wondering is what kind of pay range is reasonable for me to expect without a degree?

The website mentions that the average is around 2000 USD per month - without a degree and with minimal TESOL training do I stand any chance whatsoever at even approaching this number or am I pretty much locked into 500 USD per month jobs?

I'm looking for a way to make some money to pay off my debt while gaining some valuable life experience. Am I deluding myself?
Susan
Top Contributor

Re: TEFL Without a Degree and Pay

Unread post by Susan »

It will depend on the country. I don't know of a country where a teacher earns 8000 USD a month; not even Saudi schools pay that much.

Also, as a new teacher without a degree, you won't be in the best-paid category.

Susan
Mface

Re: TEFL Without a Degree and Pay

Unread post by Mface »

Thanks for the reply Susan. I know I wont be in the best paid category by a long shot and I know it depends on the country. I'm more or less wondering if I even have a shot at decent money (1000-2000 USD per month).

My guess is I'm more likely relegated to the bottom of the pay scale, I just wanted to know for certain before making any life decisions.