Small Mistake During a Lesson

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Bluey

Small Mistake During a Lesson

Unread post by Bluey »

Hi,

I am a fairly new to teaching and do not have a lot of experience. However, this evening I was called into school to give a lesson at very short notice. During a listening exercise I made a mistake of telling the class (3 students) the wrong answer to a question, even though it was obvious what it was. I had been looking at the wrong answer key and did not realise until the lesson was over. The group is usually taken by the owner of the school.

I feel so stupid that it happened and I know I should have trusted my instincts at the time. However, I literally had no time to prepare for the lesson or have time to go over everything with myself...I think this is especially important seeing as I don't have much experience.

Do you think I should be honest with the owner or let it go and hope that they don't bring it up in a future lesson with him?

Thanks
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Small Mistake During a Lesson

Unread post by Alex Case »

I definitely wouldn't mention it, if only because it is such a small thing that showing that you are obsessing on it might make you appear to be a less than confident teacher!
Bluey

Re: Small Mistake During a Lesson

Unread post by Bluey »

Thanks for the advice, Alex! It was for a listening exercise and at the time I knew it didn't make sense! I just hope that they don't ask him for clarification at a later date!

Thank you!