Chances of getting a job as a non-native speaker?

Discussion about TEFL jobs in Europe

Moderator: Joe

mikael

Chances of getting a job as a non-native speaker?

Unread post by mikael »

When I browse through various job ads I find it quite common to require the applicants to be native English speakers and have teaching experience and CELTA certificates. I have none of the above, but I do have an online TESL certificate (ITTT) and a university degree (in business) from an American university and I studied and worked in the USA for a total of six years. Is there any point in me applying for teaching jobs with requirements such as the above? If not, what type of teaching jobs could I realistically expect to land?
Joe
Admin

Re: Chances of getting a job as a non-native speaker?

Unread post by Joe »

Mikael, you've posted this in Jobs Discussion - Europe. Does that mean you're looking at jobs in Europe and your question is restricted to Europe? Just asking for confirmation as it could make a big difference to the answer.
mikael

Unread post by mikael »

Yes, I would like to work in central or eastern Europe.
Joe
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

I have no experience of teaching in Central or Eastern Europe, but here are my impressions.

Being a native English speaker will often be a preference, but that is all.

You say CELTA cert, but usually employers ask for "or equivalent". An ITTT cert might be considered an equivalent by some employees, but no online (only) course could be considered an equivalent.

On the whole, and based on your apparent fluency in English, and your American degree and experience, I would say it should not be impossible for you to find work. It's worth a try, both by responding to ads and putting your resume/CV online. You might want to emphasise your aptitude in business English.

Good luck :D
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Unread post by Alex Case »

I'd agree with the analysis above. It won't be impossible for you to get a job now, but it would really help you to have:
- Cambridge Proficiency (CPE) or IELTS score of at least 8.0 to prove your language level
- A teaching qualification with observed teaching practice, especially one that is well known
- A specific qualification in teaching business English if you want to use that experience
fernyperez

Unread post by fernyperez »

Hi,
I´m not native, I was born in Madrid but went to Australia to live when I was 6 years old and lived there for around 9 years. My English level is native and I had no problems landing jobs at the ill-fated Opening English School, Wall Street Institute and various other academies giving company classes at important companies, Business English, First Certificate, etc. I only have the EOI diploma and some TEFL training. When academies and schools are desperate to find teachers, they only look at the experience you have and native level of English and especially if you are able to teach it (by your previous work experience). However at top schools they would require CELTA/TEFL training, I suppose... because my experience was with short investment money-making scoundrels like Opening and Wall Street, they were desperate to hire "native" teachers that´s why they overlooked things such as being native-born and having a TEFL/CELTA.
In a nutshell, I don´t think you should have too much trouble getting a teaching job, the only requisite they would probably ask is you had a more important certificate such as CELTA/TEFL.
Cheers!