Finding work in Vietnam without a degree

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

bonstrutt

Finding work in Vietnam without a degree

Unread post by bonstrutt »

My self and my girlfriend are currently looking into various TEFL qualifications and potential teaching destinations but are struggling a bit with red tape limiting our options as well as the vast amounts of confusing information on the web.

I have a degree and a Certificate in Education teaching qualification, where as she has neither, although she has experience as a sports instructor and working with young people.

We are currently looking at teaching in Vietnam due to their more lenient visa requirements but are not sure of our potential options and which option will leave us with the best chance of finding work together.

If anybody could offer any advice it would be very much appreciated.

We are also open to any further options with regards to destination as the primary motivations are to gain some teaching experience and the opportunity to travel.

So i guess the crux of this is what sort of qualification do we need and where do we stand the best chance of finding work considering our variables.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Oldhamer

Re: Finding work in Vietnam without a degree

Unread post by Oldhamer »

As far as i'm aware you need a degree just to get a work permit in Vietnam, never mind a job. Although i'm told that the Vietnamese work permit is such a pain to get that some schools don't bother getting you one. That is second hand information though so i wouldn't put too much faith in it
struttbon

Unread post by struttbon »

I don't suppose you could make any recommendations for where it is possible to find work legally without a degree? The options appear to be limited!
fotoole

Unread post by fotoole »

I do know of a lot of teachers who have gotten jobs in SE and China without Degrees

Some schools will take teachers if they have some experience which it seems your girl friend has.

One option is for you to get a job and for her to look for some temp teaching jobs while she is there. When I worked in Hanoi there were quite a lot of teachers working there on tourist visas. She could also do a CELTA with the school you work in and they might hire her afterwards.

This is also possible in China. I have more knowledge about this in China as I am currently located there.If you want more information about this you can message me.
Gehniss

Unread post by Gehniss »

fotoole I too was trying to find work in Vietnam on a friends rec, however, I am in the process of completing my undergraduate in Psychology. It is almost impossible to find anything. I have turned my attention to China, and was told that things are changing about being issued a visa without a four year degree. Any information you would be generous enough to share? I was told my experience as an instructor in Iraq could hurt my chances of getting into China?
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Unread post by kaithegreene »

I've worked in a number of countries and would suggest that you contact the HR/personel/recruitment departments of a couple of schools in the country you fancy going to and ask them - they should know! Alternatively, why not take a look on the relevant Embassy/consulate websites? They too should know.

The rest of us are operating on personal experience, hearsay and rumour.

I would also recommend working for a school that handles, and pays for, the legal issues such as visas and work permits for you.