Latin America TEFL... Certs, no degree.

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

Mothman

Latin America TEFL... Certs, no degree.

Unread post by Mothman »

Appreciate your help here guys.

I'm on my way now to saving up the cash for a CELTA Certification here in the U.S. Just trying to get some information from people with TEFL experience in Latin America. What are the prospects for a new teacher trying to break into the industry who has no University Degree, but a CELTA Certification? Which countries have the highest wages in South/Central America? Which are the easiest to get a visa without a degree?

I'm up for a serious discussion, if anybody else is. I say South/Central America because I know the prospects of getting a work visa in Asia, or the middle east are close to none, not to mention I've always had a secret love affair with South America and the Spanish language.

So let's try to get a good thread going. I will do some research on the matter and post what I find in this thread.
chicoelnino

Re: Latin America TEFL... Certs, no degree.

Unread post by chicoelnino »

I too would like to find out as much information about this topic as well. Myself and my girlfriend are taking a CELTA in January 2013 here in Europe and although I have a degree, she doesn't and therefore we are limited as to where we can move to regarding teaching English.

I did hear that Ecuador and Mexico are two countries that don't require you to have a degree in order to teach, but that a CELTA/TEFL qualification is necessary?
struttbon

Unread post by struttbon »

Hey guys

Just read your posts and I am in exactly the same situation with my girlfriend!

We've concentrated our research on South East Asia but have had little luck apart from finding a few internships offered by I-to-i.

Have you guys had any luck? If so, don't suppose you would mind sharing it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
jackpell

Unread post by jackpell »

i know its an old post, but I am in the same boat as mothman is/was and could use some info on it.

Thanks in advance!