Part-time CELTA (have you taken or researched it)?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

CELTASkelta

Part-time CELTA (have you taken or researched it)?

Unread post by CELTASkelta »

Has anyone taken or researched CELTA part-time courses? They seem to be very difficult to find, and rarely offered. I do not care WHERE I take it, as long as it isn't Korea, Japan (allergic to fish lol), or an English speaking country (ability to get a job). I want to find one that works with my schedule etc.

Can anyone either refer me to one, or share what you have learned. If the forum rules allow it I would enjoy having someone with whom to discuss it offline or privately or however is prescribed in the forum rules.

Thanks in advance!

CS
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: Part-time CELTA (have you taken or researched it)?

Unread post by Alex Case »

Part time CELTA courses usually take between 3 months and 9 months and are mainly taken by people who are working at the same time, for example teachers who don't have a CELTA yet or people in their own countries still doing their original jobs. In your situation of wanting to go abroad and then get a job in the same country, full time 4 week courses are far better.

People can of course contact you through the PM (private message) function and communicate that way, and you can PM me if there is anything you feel you can't write publically.
pokedmund
Rising Star

Unread post by pokedmund »

I took the CELTA PT, but I did it when I was in London (which was one of the places you mentioned in your post that you did not want to do it in as it was an english speaking place).

Since you haven't specified a country, may I suggest you check the cambridge website to see which countries you would like to do the CELTA in? Hopefully you'll find the right course in a suitable location. That was how I found out about the CELTA PT and how I found the most suitable centre for me to complete my studies.

Regarding the CELTA PT, I completed it whilst holding a full time job. Had to take 2 days off work during the whole course, spent all my weekends focusing purely on the CELTA, but loved every minute of it.

Currently teaching English in Hong Kong for the last two years
CELTASkelta

Thanks so much for the response! It's extremely slow and painstaking to try to find part-time courses, but I have now gone through the entire Cambridge site. I still need to contact a few places in South America, but otherwise the only appropriate course I've found is in Madrid. Possibly in South Africa as well.

Where in London did you take your class? (I said no to it because I know I wouldn't get a job there, and because it's veerrry expensive).

I'd love to hear about your experience teaching in Hong Kong, and getting a job there -- and if/how it's possible to live on your wages there! It's one of the places that interest me. Though I suspect we have to either do it privately or move to a different forum category.

MANY thanks!

CS
CELTASkelta

Alex -- Why are full time courses "much better"? That doesn't make any sense. Same teachers, same experience, more time to absorb it. Is that your opinion or is it based on something concrete?

I'm going to try to PM you if I can figure out how lol.

CS