CELTA training centers: does it or doesn't it matter?

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

CELTASkelta

CELTA training centers: does it or doesn't it matter?

Unread post by CELTASkelta »

Hello All,

I have just read through several threads and some FAQs. All seem to agree that it doesn't matter where you get your CELTA as the education is standardized. BUT they ALSO agree that you should go to a center that is well known and with a good reputation.

The latter makes more sense to me, but HOW do I tell what the reputation for any particular program center actually is?

I would like to do my CELTA part time, but the "medium" version, the six week version.

My second wish is to take the course in a place where the primary language (or secondary) is Spanish, so that I may better my Spanish language skills while I am there. I speak French so a country with French as its first or second language (such as Morocco) would be fine too, but I prefer not to go somewhere where I know neither the language nor the country. For a well-known/ high reputation center I would probably go almost anywhere where the course is taught in English, including some places in Indonesia or Asia, but not to the Middle East, at least not at this time.

Does anyone know of such a centre? I would greatly enjoying going to a Latin American or South American center, but haven't found one with the part time option yet.

So far the only place I have found for these two criteria is Barcelona, with IH. I've put in a large amount of time already just trying to hunt down this information, on a website by website basis. Is there an easier way (for example one place that lists all the "extensive" classes)?

Other than IH what would be other well-known CELTA training centers and/or training organizations please?

Thanks for "listening" to this lengthy thread!

Sincerely,

Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: CELTA training centers: does it or doesn't it matter?

Unread post by Alex Case »

Not a direct answer to your question but:
- I've never heard of a 6 week CELTA. Are you sure you don't mean 6 months?
- I think you'll find it impossible to choose from so many options. You need to narrow down the list of countries or your starting date, then find out which CELTA centres are available. If you don't just decide to go with the cheapest, you can then post asking for people's feedback on those specific two or three centres.
CELTASkelta

Re: CELTA training centers: does it or doesn't it matter?

Unread post by CELTASkelta »

Hi! There are courses that I have found, so far, from 6 weeks (but only about once a year, and I just missed it), to 12 weeks and six months. But the only list is by no means complete ( a blog: Teaching-English-to-adults) And evven there you have to click on the individual website and then scan it to see if the particular site offers part time courses. And many of the sites say to write for information. I've written 3-4 places, about a month ago and never heard back -- except for one place that told me to watch their website for dates -- the website says to write for dates? :-D

Thanks tho...