teachers right to breaks in Italy

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

elegant

teachers right to breaks in Italy

Unread post by elegant »

Dear Lucy, I hope you can help me! I require breaks during my teaching day. I am expected to work 5 hours with out a break. My boss insists I am not entitled to a break. I am in Southern Italy in a private school & have fought to get a break. I am a qualified TEFL teacher with 8 years experience and this is the 1st time I've been forced to fight for a break. I need to use the loo or have a coffee to keep up my energy. The custom maybe not to take a break but the law requires that you get 10 mins every 2 hours. Please let me know asap- I need the information urgently... Thank you-
ps it is very stressful and I feel bullied & harassed. We have had a few rows over this and I am really at the end of my tether. I had a coffee as I taught, and occasionally a little square of chocolate for energy- she is claiming 2 students left because they saw eat chocolate- I reply 'well if you won't give me a break then I have to have a drink in view of students and the occasional bite. The toilet is awful, no loo paper, there is no water - no kitchen etc. I went along with it until it started to make me feel ill.
pps never again will I accept a 5 hour shift without a break- at least I learned that much.
ppps beware of small schools
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: teachers right to breaks Italy

Unread post by Lucy »

Unless you have any particular ties with this school or town, I suggest you start looking for another job. Also, when you need to go to the toilet, just go. If your bosses notice you going to the loo and comment on it, just stay calm. There is no point in getting into an argument about this. They seem to have all the power, even if they are using it wrongly. I don't see any point in arguing or reasoning with them. Just stay calm and do what you have to do.

Lucy
elegant

Unread post by elegant »

Thank you. Do you know if the law is that a teacher is entitled to a break? 10 mins or so- in which case she is flaunting the law. Where could I find out the info? I need to know my rights here, took it for granted the European norm applies- she claims it doesn;t Thanks again for your prompt reply. EL
Lucy
Top Contributor

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi,

I don't know the law in Italy. Do you have any Italian friends there who could advise or tell you about the equivalent of the citizens advice bureau? Failing that, your consulate is always a good place to start.

Hope things get better.

Lucy