Opinions of part-time+online+practicum TEFL Certifications

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Todash

Opinions of part-time+online+practicum TEFL Certifications

Unread post by Todash »

I am planning to take a TEFL Certification course within the next few months and have been extensively researching options of all types. I have pretty much ruled out the online only certifications for both my own reasons and the limitations they inherently have with regards to real life human-human interaction in teaching, job opportunities overseas (I am looking at Asia), flexibility, and even salary. The three big name, full-time options of CELTA, Trinity, and SIT are all great for very obvious reasons to me. I understand how valuable they are, yet it isn't appealing to me to quit my already full-time and decent job (albeit growing increasingly unsatisfying) in order to get either of these before seriously applying for jobs. This has lead me to wondering why there aren't more part-time TEFL certifications over 2 or 3 months for those that would like to have a source of income during training and aren't concerned with cramming as much material into as short a period of time as possible in attaining a TEFL certification. I understand the business aspect of CELTA in taking four weeks... they can have more classes and train more people in a given year which ultimately is more profitable for them, but I would like to better absorb what I am being exposed to and learning.

Has anyone here done combination part time programs such as the one at TEFL Institute's website? They have a 120 hour program that is 50 in-classroom onsite, peer to peer training, 50 of online, and 20 of practicum. Some others I have discovered don't have the practicum but are still considered 100 hours total but all are over the course of several weekends over the course of several weeks. For those of you that have more experience in the TEFL world, how would you rate something like this? Pros and Cons? I really appreciate any advice and thoughts you have!
Azariah

Re: Opinions of part-time+online+practicum TEFL Certificatio

Unread post by Azariah »

Hi Todash,

Well, the good news is that you CAN do a part-time CELTA course and various colleges have offered these for at least six years. I did the six-month part-time CELTA and it was perfect; I managed to work pretty much full-time AND study for the CELTA.
Don't think about it, just do it! :-)

Azariah
Todash

Unread post by Todash »

Unfortunately there is no part time CELTA or equivalent anywhere near where I live/work or I would certainly strongly consider doing that over a few months. After doing a lot more research I decided on enrolling in a program similar to one that I mentioned in my original post which will allow me to continue to work (and of course keep a roof over my head and food on my table)! At least until I have found an opportunity to utilize my certification. I am very much looking forward to acquiring a much more substantial set of skills, abilities and tools to teach English overseas :)
anneremy

Unread post by anneremy »

Hey Todash,

I actually took that TEFL Institute class that you're talking about a few years back. As long as you're prepared to lose 3 weekends in a row, you've got this. The rest is super flexible for you and totally doable. It gives you the accreditation you need to teach around the world and the confidence you need to be a good teacher. The online bit is just a matter of buckling down and doing it. For me, that was the hardest part.
I actually came back to work at the TEFL Institute years after I got my certification to be an academic advisor here so I'm able to send you some more information or talk to you more in depth about the program if you'd like. No pressure. Either way, good luck!