mexico jobs

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions

Moderator: Joe

michellemm

mexico jobs

Unread post by michellemm »

My partner and I were hoping to teach english in Mexico towards the end of this year, does anyone know how much emphasis is placed on actual teaching experience as I will have none! also any schools that I should look at in particular or look out for? thanks
keith

Unread post by keith »

There's some good advice about teaching English and living in Mexico here.

Also, This Guy is Teaching Abroad has some comprehensive information. Have a look at the Categories on the right hand side of the page.

Good luck, Keith
obatala

Re: mexico jobs

Unread post by obatala »

If you are native speaker, you have huge advantage over non-native speakers like me, also, depends a lot the school you select, of course it has to be a private school, but the best ones ask for a working visa and of course teaching experience, but there are some small schools where they accept Americans or native –speaking people without requirements.
marhunter

Unread post by marhunter »

I am in Guadalajara taking the EFL class at ITTO right now. They will help their graduates with jobs in Mexico. It sounds like there are plenty. Some of the recent graduates teach at a sister school IMAC here. They come and they go. Good luck
Margaret
marhunter

Unread post by marhunter »

A lot of experience in other fields can be converted to usable teacher skills. I dont have teaching experience or a BA but apparently its not a problem in Mexico. I am a respiratory therapist who has managed people and taught Sunday School. it gives me a good resume. Naturally I cant teach is some schools but there are places I can.
Margaret
ocumare

Re: mexico jobs Sonora

Unread post by ocumare »

If you are interested in teaching at a university in Mexico, check out La Universidad del Noroeste (UNO) in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico. Their English department seems to always need native speakers of English with degrees not necessarily in second-language acquisition. Just a thought... Buena Suerte!

Ocumare de la Costa, Venezuela
DavidB

Unread post by DavidB »

Looks like this is a real old post, but for anyone else interested in Mexico:

I started in Mexico, and it is a very easy place to find a job. Native speakers can walk into most ESL schools and get a job. Blue eyes and blond hair? Even better.

However, the money does not come close to what most ESL teachers are making in Asia or Europe. And yes, the cost of living is lower, but it still doesn't make up for the low wages that teachers receive in Mexico.

On the bright side, it's a beautiful country and a wonderful experience.
Professor

Unread post by Professor »

I will start with the language institutes you need to stay away from.
1. Wall Street Institute. They do not pay on time if at all and many of their centers have closed due to a lack of business.

2. Instituto Hamer Sharp. They usually pay very low. Eighty pesos an hour and you DO NOT get paid for holidays.

3. Harmon Hall. You may have many classes one semester but then hardly noe the next. Plus they sometimes do not pay you the total that they owe you.

4. Quick Learning or Quit Learning as it is known in Mexico City. They practice age descrimination all of the time and you have to become a religious nut to really fit in. Finally...they DO NOT like Americans.

5. The Anglo. Again, a place that does not like Americans and pay very little.

You basically need to stay away from the language institutes in Mexico and EFL for that matter, if you want to make enough money to live and save. You need to teach something besides English at a colegio.

Good luck.
SerjeBD

Unread post by SerjeBD »

Professor wrote: 1. Wall Street Institute.
2. Instituto Hamer Sharp.
3. Harmon Hall.
4. Quick Learning .
5. The Anglo.
You basically need to stay away from the language institutes in Mexico and EFL for that matter, if you want to make enough money to live and save. You need to teach something besides English at a colegio.

Good luck.
Thank you, Professor! It's really useful information! My sister want to go there. I need to show it her :)
Best regards, Serje BenDer.
pmcguire

Unread post by pmcguire »

Professor wrote:I will start with the language institutes you need to stay away from.
1. Wall Street Institute. They do not pay on time if at all and many of their centers have closed due to a lack of business.

2. Instituto Hamer Sharp. They usually pay very low. Eighty pesos an hour and you DO NOT get paid for holidays.

3. Harmon Hall. You may have many classes one semester but then hardly noe the next. Plus they sometimes do not pay you the total that they owe you.

4. Quick Learning or Quit Learning as it is known in Mexico City. They practice age descrimination all of the time and you have to become a religious nut to really fit in. Finally...they DO NOT like Americans.

5. The Anglo. Again, a place that does not like Americans and pay very little.

Good luck.

Looks like I will give Mexico a pass.
iWorthington

Unread post by iWorthington »

These institutes apart, what rates of pay are likely?