Want to teach overseas, very confused/lost

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

azurariverja

Want to teach overseas, very confused/lost

Unread post by azurariverja »

Hi there. My post got a bit long so I've included a short version.

The short version:
I need to find a company or mentor or counselor to hold my hand through training and job placement. Suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

The long version:
So I currently have this amazing grand plan to spend the next few years of my life traveling the world and teaching the people of the world English.

I'm kind of at a loss as far as what I need to do next. I'd applied to the Japan Exchange and Teaching program (JET), but was not accepted. I was looking into a company called TESOL Training International as a back-up plan, which sounded great as it provided training and guaranteed placement, for a fee, but a couple of sources around the net have called it a scam - I found 1 good review and about 3 bad ones, but that was all there was. Should I dismiss it completely or take a chance with it?

I also see that there are tons of places to find a TESOL or TEFL certification, but I don't know which school I should pick, don't know which country I want to go to, don't know if I should do TESOL, TEFL, CELTA or something else, and there are so many choices and combinations that I feel like I'm just drowning in the available information and not getting anywhere with it. It also doesn't help that I'm in California and all the schools I DID find are located in other countries or on the other side of this one - I'd LIKE to do in-class training.

Do I even NEED to do training, or can I just start applying to jobs overseas?

Are there any legitimate companies out there that will take me through good training and set me up with a job? Or, barring that, are there counselors somewhere who can walk me through the process? I really want to do this but...I just feel like I'm floundering helplessly right now and I need some guidance or direction. Thanks in advance for any advice.
kaithegreene
Rising Star

Re: Want to teach overseas, very confused/lost

Unread post by kaithegreene »

Hi azurariverja, yes it is very confusing.

Do you need training? Well, you probably could get a job in some places, with some organisations, without any experience or training. There aren't likely to be the best paying jobs, and the amount of academic support you get will be variable. There are good teachers around who are "naturals", and have learnt to be effective in the classroom without any formal training. However, it could be very tough if you don't know what you're doing, don't have any training and aren't a "natural".

I suggest that you do either the CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL because these are pretty much recognised by (nearly) all prospective employers globally. Beware - they are very tough courses if taken as a four week intensive. If you do an intensive course you need to set time aside for the course when you will have no other commitments whatsoever - 4 weeks of eating, sleeping, thinking, living TEFL! Shop around for your course. Some course providers are also schools that will take on one or two of their own successful course participants. This is good because they will (usually) have some sort of mentoring scheme for new teachers. After that - the world is your oyster! Enjoy!
azurariverja

Re: Want to teach overseas, very confused/lost

Unread post by azurariverja »

Thank you for your response! I have been told I am a pretty good teacher, but I guess I don't know if I'm a "natural" or not...I certainly don't feel like I could just jump in and teach a class, so I suppose I should take a training program.

I will look into CELTA and TESOL; as I am currently unemployed I have the time...however, I don't have the money so that could be a problem. I'll do some research, but if anyone has recommendations for affordable training options in/near San Francisco I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks again!