What are you teaching next to the curriculum?

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

Chteacher

What are you teaching next to the curriculum?

Unread post by Chteacher »

What are you teaching next to the curriculum? Do you also think we should be very seriously considering what we teach our kids next to our curriculum?

What are we bringing across to our pupils in terms of obedience versus learning to follow your own path, or critical thinking versus having to cram down fact after theory, and creativity versus scoring well in standardized tests?

I think these ideas, the system we work in, and the examples we set as adults are extremely influential to the way they see the world. At least as much as the curriculum we teach. Considering that the world isn't doing too well... perhaps we should re-think what we are bringing across?

Let me know if you are also interested in this!
luisinka

Re: What are you teaching next to the curriculum?

Unread post by luisinka »

Hi. I agree with you. I think that what we teach extra is sometimes even more imporant than the curriculum. Facts are so eaisily forgotten, but the attitude, values, thinking...can last much longer.

I teach at a primary school, so the most important are probably enthusiasm for learning and good behaviour. It is quite difficult and I feel that there are still things to improve. But I love teaching.

And what are you teaching next to the curriculum? What do you consider the most important?