Course advice

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Edchin

Course advice

Unread post by Edchin »

Hi,

My name is Ed Chynoweth and I have recently become interested in TEFL. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on accredited courses that would be right for me.

I am 20 years old and currently in full time employment. The highest level qualification I hold is the international baccalaureate and even though I achieved high English grades my scores for science and maths meant that I was unable to attend university. I used to live in Malaysia and while I was there I spent my summer holidays working in hotels in both China and Tibet. While I was there I would often hold English classes with the staff and sometimes their families which sparked my interest in teaching. Ultimately I would love to return to China with a qualification like TEFL in order to teach properly and, owing to my work, would probably find it easier to do this via an online course.

I have been looking at the group called teflengland, is this a good course to do?
Any advice/warning would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ed Chynoweth
Azariah

Re: Course advice

Unread post by Azariah »

Hi Ed,

I've never heard of TEFLEngland, so I can't really comment much, but having a quick browse has shown me that they have the identical website to TEFLScotland and TEFLWales... which is a bit weird.

Anyway, I'll be frank, just do CELTA or Trinity or any course with practical teaching included. I'm not sure if it's possible with Trinity, but you can do the CELTA part-time, like I did, which is 6 months (2 evenings plus one morning a week) or you can do it online for 2 weeks and face-to-face for 2 weeks.

I honestly think these courses are the safest option and now there is a lot more flexibility to do them and work at the same time.

Good luck :)

Azariah
Azariah

Re: Course advice

Unread post by Azariah »

Oh.. by the way, I'd also like to mention that if any course offers a weekend certificate, they're probably best avoided. Just my opinion! ;)