Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby ThirdView » 02 Dec 2011, 08:01

If the situation gets so bad they can’t get near enough teachers or the only people willing to work there are junk teachers, the students will start calling their parents and saying, “We used to have some good FTs, but now they’re almost all junk teachers” or “The class size keeps getting bigger every semester,” the parents will go up the chain of command until someone in administration takes action against Karl. That scenario might take a while, but given the amount of posting, that scenario has a running start. They already had to do a lot more advertising last time around and spread the advertising net much wider.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 02 Dec 2011, 08:17

I do believe xFT M when he said the Cafe was a place where culture/language exchange was encouraged MORE than it being a place of business. It had to be a business in order to keep in existence.

If he was in it for the money, he'd be in Shanghai catering to multinational corporation employees and charging 125 per dish instead of 20 per dish in a rural town catering to expats making a Chinese salary.

I don't think Karl's motive was money. Karl is intelligent enough to look at the menu, estimate the volume, do some calculations, maybe consult a restaurant manager friend about operating costs, and realize any piece of pie he ever hoped to get from the Magick Cafe would be a very small piece. No, it was personal, not financial.

M said, "Karl and Arthur used to enemies. They because allies to oppose me."
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 02 Dec 2011, 08:38

The Magick Café immediately became my home away from home. I spent a lot of time and money there. I watched a lot of movies there. I donated a lot of movies too (I estimate 200). I used the movie room to teach a vocabulary video seminar. On pizza party nights, I treated my evening students there.

It was also how I kept my sanity. And the worse the situation got the second semester, the more time I spent there.

The Magick Café is a rare treat. In all of China, you probably won’t find another half a dozen places like it. Authentic western food. Criminally delicious deserts. Very cold drinks. Frequent parties. Large movie screen. Relaxed, community atmosphere. Bilingual, well trained staff. And the place operates like a well oiled machine.

All because of M's focused vision, exceptional management skills, and longterm commitment. The owner agreed to store my large, growing movie collection (last count, 1500). Me and the cook had English Corner together. Tag teaming with him made it the most enlightening, interesting, and enjoyable English Corner ever.

Am I supposed to stand by and watch Karl attack these people?
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 02 Dec 2011, 08:40

They because allies to oppose me.

Became, not because. Can't find an edit button.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 02 Dec 2011, 12:56

ThirdView wrote:
Does it matter what the exact requirements are now?

Of course specifics matter. Every FT wants to know details before accepting a job offer for the same reason they read the contract before signing. If the salary is too low, if the lesson load is too high, if the class size is too big, if the administration micromanages, if the location is too far from downtown, if the weather/pollution index is awful, etc, the FT will pass. That’s why FTs have forums, so we can give each other the inside story. To not share specifics is to defeat the whole purpose of having and using a forum.

ThirdView: Do you really think that I don't agree that specifics matter? Especially, when it comes to contracts, salary, work load, etc? Of course I think every FT should be wary of any school's policies. Yet, PZ (as well as many other schools) tend to change the rules as they go. Whatever they tell you one day can easily change by the next day. Not much one can do about it.

If you are going to continue to nitpick my words and only quote sections of my posts (not even the entire sentence), then of course, you can continue to dismantle my well-intended meaning. I attempted to answer your many questions and am now sorry that I did. I don't know all the specific requirements for working there now. They seem to keep changing daily. And actually, I didn't understand what kind of requirements you were asking about. I have already posted several of the changes in the EEC and the FAO in previous posts. Have you read them?
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 02 Dec 2011, 13:01

ThirdView wrote: ...The Magick Café is a rare treat. In all of China, you probably won’t find another half a dozen places like it. Authentic western food. Criminally delicious deserts. Very cold drinks. Frequent parties. Large movie screen. Relaxed, community atmosphere. Bilingual, well trained staff. And the place operates like a well oiled machine...

I am in total agreement with you on this one!
A complete surprise to find such a place in the middle of the countryside of China.
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 02 Dec 2011, 14:14

Yes, Puzzle Box, I have read your posts. You are among the saner posters here. But your comments aren't very specific. And I wasn't aware you're no longer at PZ.

We all know FTs loath paperwork. But everyone's definition of "a lot" of paperwork and "more" paperwork is different. It would be great if someone could track down a memo or form so we could assess for ourselves, and discuss, the type and volume of paperwork Arthur is required.

The more paperwork Arthur requires, BTW, the easier it is for Karl to claim you didn't fulfill your contract, giving him an excuse to cheat you out of some of your pay or refuse to give you a recommendation letter - or fire you. All he has to do is claim you didn't provide enough information about your lessons. He's in a position to define "enough."
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 02 Dec 2011, 17:58

Karl shares the money he steals with the people above him. Or the people above Karl have him get it (by cheating and stealing*) and share it out among them. Karl is protected by those above him and by those in local government** who get (insert verb in passive voice) off. The way PZ is run is how "business" is done in this country. Market forces are not relevant. "Students" (= the children of the customers) are getting what they want - the diploma. They aren't interested in learning English or anything else. They want the diploma because they want a good income and/or access to a good job, which means connections (guanxi), which in turn means money. It's all about money and only about money, whether it's Karl, those above Karl, or the students.

I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm not saying foreigners are or aren't this way. I'm describing the local people the way I see them. Who doesn't want money and access to jobs which give them good connections to do business and make even more money?

What I find most intriguing is that the original Hong Kong benefactors didn't understand mainland culture enough to know the college would be hijacked and drained of its money and good name.

* In this country cheating and stealing is called business.
** In this country it's called local government, but foreigners call it other things.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 03 Dec 2011, 16:08

ThirdView wrote:Yes, Puzzle Box, I have read your posts. You are among the saner posters here. But your comments aren't very specific. And I wasn't aware you're no longer at PZ.

We all know FTs loath paperwork. But everyone's definition of "a lot" of paperwork and "more" paperwork is different. It would be great if someone could track down a memo or form so we could assess for ourselves, and discuss, the type and volume of paperwork Arthur is required.

The more paperwork Arthur requires, BTW, the easier it is for Karl to claim you didn't fulfill your contract, giving him an excuse to cheat you out of some of your pay or refuse to give you a recommendation letter - or fire you. All he has to do is claim you didn't provide enough information about your lessons. He's in a position to define "enough."

I can only be specific when I have enough real information. As I am sure by now, most readers and posters here know I am not fond of fabrication.

I have already mentioned that Arthur had made it mandatory that every FT provide a formatted resume with photo (FAO already has a resume from every FT). Why?

Also, he has mandated that every FT has to have a separate form for every student in their classes (class average now is about 20-24), besides the regular class rosters and grading sheets for every class.

These are only two of the new requirements of FTs which were mandated by EEC (Arthur) .
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 04 Dec 2011, 09:31

ThirdView wrote: ...All because of M's focused vision, exceptional management skills, and long term commitment. The owner agreed to store my large, growing movie collection (last count, 1500). Me and the cook had English Corner together. Tag teaming with him made it the most enlightening, interesting, and enjoyable English Corner ever.

Am I supposed to stand by and watch Karl attack these people?

To back track a little:

I can understand your feelings about this and sure, it is within reason to defend those who you feel have been mistreated by the PZ admin and its cronies. There is no doubt something was "rotten in PZ" concerning Karl's decision to not renew "M"s contract due to his involvement with the Magick Cafe. And I believe Karl was 'out of line' by threatening "D" with dismissal if he continued to help out at the Cafe. It seems Karl enjoys using his power to bully those he wants to control. It always appeared that "M" is not easily controlled, so maybe that's why he's gone. Yet, Karl probably knew he could scare "D" into no longer helping out at the cafe by giving him a written warning. I wonder if the warning had a "red stamp" on it :-)

In addition; it does arouse some curiosity about this other FT "B" and his Chinese GF?/Wife who had been running a small food business out of their PZ subsidized apartment without incident for an entire year, and now plan to open their business outside the campus. One can only wonder what is going on there.

As many (including myself) have stated; PZ tends to change its rules to suit their needs. Was this 'no FT business' rule only enforced on FT "M" and the Cafe for personal reasons as you have suggested? And, how is it that another FT is OK to have a business which is truly only about business. At least Magick offered a real place of cultural exchange and a relaxing atmosphere (for Student, FTs and CTs) as it did its business to stay alive. I wonder if anyone will 'call Karl out' on that one. Though I doubt anyone will. It truly appears that the environment at PZ is not only sad and pathetic, but also desolate of any soul now. How much worse can it get there?
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Mantra: Teach in China. Sell your soul.

Unread postby truthiness » 05 Dec 2011, 02:57

I think these fora are good, but I also think a formula or mantra or theorem-type of statement is needed to warn people against coming to china to teach English.

"Don't come to China and expect to have rights as an employee."

"Want to be free? Don't teach in China."

I prefer something succinct. The shorter, the better:

"Teach in China. Sell your soul."
truthiness
Gold Member

Re: Mantra: Teach in China. Sell your soul.

Unread postby puzzlebox » 05 Dec 2011, 06:31

truthiness wrote:"Teach in China. Sell your soul."

You may be right about this, since it seems many foreigners will abandon their sense of "right and wrong"; tolerating unfair treatment (to themselves or others) in order to stay here (in China) and work.

I partially understand this; due to the present state of the world economy and difficulty in finding work now. And, for those who are destitute and pretty much unemployable in their own countries (no matter what state the economy is in), it makes sense for them to want to stay here and do whatever is asked of them.

However, I still believe one has to keep their conscience intact while being here. Whether its PZ or some other school that takes advantage of its teachers and students. When a person sells their soul (as you have put it) and continues to condone things and to do things they know aren't right, only shows that person's true colors.

PZ has truly become a soulless place to be. Most FTs just don't care about the wrong doings as long it doesn't affect them directly or too much. They will hang out and complain, but not say anything as a unified group to the admin in an attempt to do anything about it. This is evident in the fact that once again the school will (illegally, by China law) withhold the February salary, and it seems they will get away with it because nobody will challenge them this time; as it so appears.

There were times in the past when some FTs had the backbone to stand up to Karl and Arthur. Of course, it seems all of those FTs are gone now (either due to their own decision to leave or due to the FAO firing them or not rehiring them).

As I have stated; PZ has become truly a sad and pathetic place. Many of those still there whom I know personally, have said that the atmosphere there now is empty of life and void of any sense of a unified FT body. So, it would appear that the PZ admin are being successful in their 'divide and conquer' approach in controlling the FTs. Sure, many will leave soon or after their contract ends in June next year. And sure, the FAO will sooner or later find replacements; mostly unsuspecting (and some foolish) foreigners who will come on-board and find out too late, just what they got themselves into there. And of course, the FAO will come up short of the needed amount of foreign bodies as it always does, leaving the mess to EEC to clean up by overload classes and mandate OT.

Hopefully many foreigners, who are more sensible and/or possibly worthy of actually being ESL teachers, will heed the online warnings and stay away from the place; just let it be left to the wolves.
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 05 Dec 2011, 09:37

I agree with what you said, but I would expand "Peizheng" to "China" because so many schools/businesses are the same as Peizheng.

Teaching in China has a shelf life. My advice is either get away from teaching or teach in another country.

I think a simple catchy mantra is important because people can understand it clearly and remember it well. I think adding a jingle would be a good idea. Short, catchy, profound, all-encompassing, effective. At the end of the day details do not matter. It doesn't matter that Max Long is a bad manager because Max Long won't always be a manager. What matters is the culture of the institution and country. So details are only helpful in establishing the credibility of a given situation. After the general notion is accepted, the remedy should be prepared and shared out to everyone. In this case, the remedy is not teaching in China.

Teach in Peizheng. Sell your soul.
Teach in China. Sell your soul.

Any more mantras to add?
truthiness
Gold Member

Re: This year at PZ

Unread postby johnpz » 05 Dec 2011, 16:00

puzzlebox wrote:As I have stated; PZ has become truly a sad and pathetic place. Many of those still there whom I know personally, have said that the atmosphere there now is empty of life and void of any sense of a unified FT body.

This sentence is sad to hear, especially in regards to the atmosphere. Last year, the administration was chugging along and taking advantage of everything they could, but at least the atmosphere was good. I had a lot of fun times hanging out at invitation dinners, Magick, going on trips, etc.

This year, there was no vacation week for everyone to get to know each other. There was no Halloween party at Magick. I doubt you guys are going to have a Christmas dinner. It seems like 2010-2011 was the last decent year.
johnpz
Gold Member

Re: This year at PZ

Unread postby puzzlebox » 05 Dec 2011, 17:49

johnpz wrote:
puzzlebox wrote:As I have stated; PZ has become truly a sad and pathetic place. Many of those still there whom I know personally, have said that the atmosphere there now is empty of life and void of any sense of a unified FT body.

This sentence is sad to hear, especially in regards to the atmosphere. Last year, the administration was chugging along and taking advantage of everything they could, but at least the atmosphere was good. I had a lot of fun times hanging out at invitation dinners, Magick, going on trips, etc.

This year, there was no vacation week for everyone to get to know each other. There was no Halloween party at Magick. I doubt you guys are going to have a Christmas dinner. It seems like 2010-2011 was the last decent year.

The school no longer has the big dinners at the beginning of Autumn term with both FTs and CTs. No more term end dinners either. Actually, it appears they don't sponsor any dinners at all, anymore. Thus, no chance for anyone to gather and meet each other in a friendly environment. I also heard the FT Mixer (sponsored by the program A and B directors) they usually hold at Magick every Autumn was poorly attended by new FTs. Since program A director "B" left, nobody really organizes the FTs for fun anymore; instilling a sense of brotherhood amongst FTs. It really does seem the Admin has found its way to keep the FTs as isolated as they can.

I guess Magick keeps throwing Live Music parties every month in an attempt to bring teachers and students together for a fun evening. And, from what I gather, the students are enjoying eating the pasta and pizza there more often than the FTs now. What I wouldn't do for a Magick pizza right now! hahaha. I remember when so many students and teachers would meet there in the evenings; eating, drinking, conversing, watching movies, and even to have English Corners there.

I have been told by several FTs that they don't see many FTs out and about as much as previous years. And, many of the new FTs aren't seen anywhere much at all. It's as if most FTs are only biding their time until term end or the end of their contract year. Maybe 2010-2011 was the last decent year there.

As for the present atmosphere: Sparse. Dreary. Lifeless !!!
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby johnpz » 06 Dec 2011, 01:49

PZ wouldn't be what i consider to be a fun place to work abroad these days, but I have overheard some FTs saying that they enjoy how quiet it is. I guess that is one positive. Some teachers that don't mind all the negative aspects of the administration may enjoy PZ for how quiet and free-of-drama it is. A look at one of the few positive aspects of PZ, I guess.
johnpz
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 06 Dec 2011, 03:24

johnpz wrote:PZ wouldn't be what i consider to be a fun place to work abroad these days, but I have overheard some FTs saying that they enjoy how quiet it is. I guess that is one positive. Some teachers that don't mind all the negative aspects of the administration may enjoy PZ for how quiet and free-of-drama it is. A look at one of the few positive aspects of PZ, I guess.

I won't say "free of drama", there has always been some type of drama there. Yet when I first arrived there, I did enjoy the quiet countryside environment (except for those big blue dump trucks barreling down the road at all hours). However, with all the constant construction in the area, it no longer has the quiet country charm it had many years back. The raw sewage smell during the warm weather reeks beyond description, and the dirt and dust in the air can be suffocating most of the time. It's not quite so bad in the winter because the damp cold wind, that chills to the bone, makes one forget about it.

After a while one does begin to feel a little out of touch (being there day in and out), but I suppose that's fine for those hiding out and/or just escaping. At least in the past, despite their differences, there was still a sense of community amongst the FTs; which has seemingly disappeared completely since then.

Unfortunately, the Admin has become overbearing and virtually impossible to work with. As they gain more power, they seem to keep finding more ways to restrict, control and isolate everyone.

As the students would often say about something bad that happened, "It's a pity".
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 09 Dec 2011, 16:47

Karl Wang (Wenzheng Wang)

Maybe we need to think outside the box about how to take this evil person down. I am not convinced this thread is going to do it. It helps, but maybe we need to make a webpage about him and include photos and accurate background information. Teacher C, are you up to this task? After all, Max Long (Kim Ray Long) is out of the picture. At least we can inform people perhaps better than we are now. Clear information. Clear message.

If Karl Wang is removed and PZ learns from this lesson, maybe it will help PZ heal.

I think we coud perhaps concentrate on Karl Wang since he seems to be the chief evil-doer in all of this.

We need new ideas. Something effective.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 10 Dec 2011, 16:30

I don’t have great webmaster skills. I use pagemakers that are extremely simple. Webspawner is the easiest. If you can’t post a picture with Webspawner, just provide a link to the Pei Zheng website page with his picture. This string is not effective for the simple reason that is too large. 500 posts and 25 pages. Another reason is that most of these posts are rants, bickering, reiteration, and speculation. No one considering this school will plow through all this before making a decision. Would you if you were considering a school? Of course not. You want concise, specific, relevant info. I would start by compiling all the of horror stories about the way Karl has treated foreign teachers.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 10 Dec 2011, 21:08

ThirdView wrote:...This string is not effective for the simple reason that is too large. 500 posts and 25 pages. Another reason is that most of these posts are rants, bickering, reiteration, and speculation. No one considering this school will plow through all this before making a decision. Would you if you were considering a school? Of course not. You want concise, specific, relevant info. I would start by compiling all the of horror stories about the way Karl has treated foreign teachers.

I can make basic webpages. But I dont have a domain about PZ. But you do.

Agreed. We need concise, specific, relevant info about Karl Wang (Wenzhong Wang). At least we can narrow it down to him. Max is gone. This thread may have helped. I think Max now realises how naive he is for his age.

Why not list comments about Karl on your webpage? Or copy some of these 25 pages to your domain? Also, and maybe get your page unblocked in China if possible.
truthiness
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia