TEFL with criminal conviction.

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

lisplover

TEFL with criminal conviction.

Unread post by lisplover »

Hi everyone! I'm a qualified TEFL teacher, and unfortunately I have a criminal conviction for drink driving (UK). Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life, was young and idiotic, but I learned my lesson and will keep my nose clean for the rest of my life!
Thing is after I finish university in summer 2014 I plan to travel and teach, but the visa situation could be a bit sticky because of this conviction!
However, by that time in the UK my conviction will be 'spent' and will not be shown on a basic CRB check.
So if anyone has any experience of this will this conviction hinder me travelling to places requiring background checks as it won't show up. If I need to hold my hands up and admit I was a naughty girl in my youth if they ask "have you ever been arrested" then so be it!

Thanks everyone.
NorthHaven

Re: TEFL with criminal conviction.

Unread post by NorthHaven »

Yeah, unfortunately I also have a drinking and driving conviction in the US. I was told by a recruiter once (about a year ago, when I began getting sick of my job and started thinking about teaching abroad again) that if I had a DUI (driving under the influence) conviction I shouldn't even bother with Asia. Now I don't know if that's even close to true, this same agent represented a South America teacher-recruitment service and told my a DUI was "no problem" in Chile. So who knows? Not this guy.....