Help with my young learners

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

northerngirl

Help with my young learners

Unread post by northerngirl »

Hi, I am after a bit of advice regarding my young learners.

Last year I completed a very basic course with my 5 year olds. The course consisted of learning the alphabet and various vocabulary. There was no reading and writing involved.

This year the children should have moved on to the next stage in the course the first year if you like which is a lot more in depth. However the children in question have just started the first year in their regular school and are at the moment learning to read and write in their own language.

I have told the parents that I would like to wait a while until they grasp the basics of their own language first before moving on.

Now I am a little bit stuck as to what I should be doing with them, I don't want to repeat the same basic things we have learned and have a simple vocabulary lesson but I can't yet move onto the next stage.

Do you have any advice as to what I should be doing with them. Also I really prefer to have something in front of me to work from so any suggestions about printables or books I could use would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Help with my young learners

Unread post by Lucy »

Hello,

I agree with you entirely about waiting to teach these students to write in English; that is the right decision to make.

I understand that it is not easy teaching without students writing or copying. You could split each lesson into two segments, that way you can spend each lesson 1) reviewing what was studied last year and 2) studying something new. Remember to change activities regularly; say every ten minutes; so that they don't get bored.

You can use stories as a basis for your lessons and then teach vocabulary and short phrases related to subject the story. You can then use games to practise that language. You can also sing songs related to the story. The I Spy course by Oxford University Press is good for young learners and involves very little writing.

Lucy