Can I teach abroad on this degree...

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

Edward

Can I teach abroad on this degree...

Unread post by Edward »

Hi everyone,

I am looking very seriously at taking a CELTA course over the next couple of months and have gone to great lengths to read in depth how to set yourself up for the best teaching experience possible.

Unfortunately, it is a requirement to have a degree in order to work in a lot of the countries I am interested in. However, as it is the countries that require this degree certification and not the schools themselves I have been looking online at the quickest way to get literally any degree at a low cost/minimum effort just so I can work legally in places like South Korea, Dubai, Thailand etc.

I've come across some online degrees that only require "life experience" to qualify. Naturally a lot of them are indeed scams and I am not easily fooled. However, I was curious to find out whether there are any legitimate online bachelor degrees that are accredited and can be used to work as a TEFL teacher abroad. Will this type of degree satisfy whichever goverment body abroad?

Some websites that looked convincing, that even had testimonials (who I contacted personally on Facebook to double check the legitimacy of it all) seems quite legit. Check it out and tell me what you think and whether this type of plan would work. Any advice would be immensely appreciated...

http://www.corllinsuniversity.com/
Briona
Top Contributor

Re: Can I teach abroad on this degree...

Unread post by Briona »

To be honest, I think you'd be wasting your money as online degrees are not generally accepted. For further thoughts on this go to http://www.tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3781

Bear in mind that you'd soon get found out if (a) you needed a university transcript of said degree, and (b) you needed to get the degree and transcript apostilled (which is one of the requirements for working in South Korea).
Edward

Unread post by Edward »

Briona wrote:To be honest, I think you'd be wasting your money as online degrees are not generally accepted. For further thoughts on this go to http://www.tefl.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3781

Bear in mind that you'd soon get found out if (a) you needed a university transcript of said degree, and (b) you needed to get the degree and transcript apostilled (which is one of the requirements for working in South Korea).
The man I spoke to who got a degree from this particular website and was quoted in the testimonial page said that he managed to get his degree apostilled in several countries and I think they even send you certificates of your degree.

Are you sure that it wouldn't be accepted?
Briona
Top Contributor

Unread post by Briona »

The only thing I'm sure of is that anyone can provide a testimonial and anyone can tell you what you want to hear.

By all means take the risk if that's what you want to do, but be prepared to accept the consequences.