Starting out...

Help, tips and advice in teaching English

Moderator: Joe

Augustus

Starting out...

Unread post by Augustus »

Hi Lucy,
I put this on the forums but haven't heard back yet.
Basically, I am giving serious thought to doing a tefl certificate. Was thinking of teaching in either China or Japan, partly as I've always wanted to go there and also because I heard that (correctly?) that's where the work is.
About me: I'm a native English speaker with a 2:1 Honours degree in English. Previously, I worked as a teaching assistant in primary schools and with adults in a college (2008-9) before going onto work in a childrens home for teens with autism. To communicate with them, we used simple direct sentences as well as visual aids. Also I draw comics (this may seem apropos of nothing but a friend who teaches abroad said that drawing ability came in handy sometimes in his lessons). So...
1) Is this relevant or transferable enough experience to do a TEFL course?
2) I got made redundant from the kids home in June, would this pose a problem for visa etc?
3) Which course do you recommend? I've already had a look round for good ones and ones to avoid. So far the CELTA seems most recommended...
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
A.
Lucy
Top Contributor

Re: Starting out...

Unread post by Lucy »

Hi Augustus,

It sounds like you have good skills and qualifications to start a career in TEFL. I would say you have a good chance of being accepted on a course. The CELTA and the Trinity Certificate are both highly recommended. You should try to get on a course with observed teaching practice. You can look throught the TEFL Training Discussion forum; there are many posts on this topic there. http://www.tefl.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=11

As for visas, I can't say. That is something you would have to check with the consulate of the country concerned. I don't think that being made redundant from a job is a great hinderance, especially in today's job market, provided it is not for a serious matter.

All the best

Lucy