OnTesol certification for Japan

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

ZoeJan

OnTesol certification for Japan

Unread post by ZoeJan »

I would really like to teach English in Japan. I was going to go with i-to-i 140h course, but I have read so many bad reviews about i-to-i that I am rethinking that. It was the lowest rated online course provider on teflcoursereview.com. I have read bad reviews in other places such as Lonely Planet as well.

I have read many wonderful reviews about OnTesol but their certificate is only 100h. I have read that in Japan 120h is the recommended base line for the industry. OnTesol is also only an online degree with no in class practical. I have read that many of the better schools do not accept courses that are only online.

I also think that as I have no prior teaching experience, the practical would be invaluable in boosting my skills and confidence.

Any advice about courses is appreciated.

Thanks.
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: OnTesol certification for Japan

Unread post by Alex Case »

Most schools in Japan demand no qualifications at all, but as you said one with 6 hours of observed teaching practice will be what makes you do your job better and be accepted by the better schools. Do Cambridge CELTA or maybe Trinity CertTESOL, as they have the best name recognition.