CEF certification for students

Discussion about courses, qualifications etc

Moderator: Joe

piscojim

CEF certification for students

Unread post by piscojim »

Hello everyone,

One year ago I became a TEFL certified instructor and since then, several clients have asked if I can "certify" them. Many language centers here claim to "certify" their students however, I believe it is just a scam or an "internal" certification used to intentionally mislead their clients. Is it possible for a teacher/language center to "certify" their students at a particular CEF level? Or, can it only be done through authorized testing centers administering tests such as CAE, FCE, Ielts, KET, Michigan or TOEFL?

Thanks,

Jim
Alex Case
Top Contributor

Re: CEF certification for students

Unread post by Alex Case »

Who decides Cambridge can certify people with FCE when it comes down to it? The value of certification is simply its acceptance, and sometimes employers etc will, it seems, accept students saying "I went to the British Council and did a level check and they said I was Advanced" even with no paper proof. So, if they want something like a job reference that says something about their language level on it and you feel qualified to say so and can do so without lying, then why not?