Advice needed for private tuition

For general discussion between teachers

Moderator: Joe

VivaCuba

Advice needed for private tuition

Unread post by VivaCuba »

Hello
I am a recently qualified CELTA level English teacher. I have been asked to provide private tuition to a Czech family with a low level understanding of English.
As this will be my first experience of this type, I am asking for any help on how to build my first few lessons - ie. what style, subjects to use, what works best for private tuition, etc. Can anybody with private tuition experience help me on this?
Thanks in advance.
fenster

Re: Advice needed for private tuition

Unread post by fenster »

Hey,

Start basic and very very slow. it's better for them to understand you and to tell you to go faster, than for them to simply not understand you, lose confidence and think it's a bad idea. I have a lot of privates and the key is to understand what they want from the lessons. Some want structure (exam course even) some want interesting conversation, some love grammar. Find out what they want, grade their level and then look for plenty of interesting materials.

Oh, and be ultra happy and smiley. If they like you, it's likely they'll keep up with the lessons, even through the tough stuff.

My 5 pence worth :)
SGreene

Re: Advice needed for private tuition

Unread post by SGreene »

Hi Fenster,

I recently posted some free material on my webpage called '10 Things to Remember When Teaching Private Classes'. Have a look at www.tmenglish.org and see what you think. I would love to hear any feedback you might have.

Good luck,

Stephen
Tailor-Made English
Last edited by Susan on 28 Oct 2011, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To remove link