Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Discussion about jobs and employment conditions in Asia inc. Middle East. Please do not post job ads here.

Moderator: Susan

Re: Guangdong Peizheng College / Pei Zheng College

Unread postby puzzlebox » 04 Aug 2011, 15:22

Some things worthy of discussion:

Karl Wang owns several properties in Huadu... where did that money come from?
When he arrived at PeiZheng, he was Not a well-to-do powerful administrator, but he was rather low on the totem pole at the college. However, he was part of a group of other admin who came in from the north. And, they do protect each other.

Arthur cut a book deal to publish a PZ FT's textbook and use it at the school. He then went to Canada for a year and upon returning, he cut another deal publishing a second book by the same PZ FT (no need to mention the FT's name, since all they did was put together a textbook relevant to PZ students; a good idea). The second book never got distributed to the students. Maybe it will surface next term and "bonus", paid for again by the students too.

As I understand, PZ students are charged, in one lump sum, for all their textbooks. I don't think they even know what books they are paying for. But that is a guess on my part. The 2nd book will probably be distributed next term (another guess) since they are just sitting there in an office somewhere. These books were to be used in Program B.

Also, last year, no student in Program B received any textbooks. Isn't that odd? Maybe someone should audit the bill students received for their OE textbooks last year.

And, what's up with both Karl and Arthur sporting rather nice new cars fall term 2010 ???

Just some things worth mentioning.
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 04 Aug 2011, 15:35

Uh, some of us are still at Peizheng. No, we are not afraid of being blacklisted. No, Karl's "relations" don't protect him no matter what, otherwise some teachers would have landed in jail. No, China isn't the only place to work. No, some us are not ignorant about what the FEC looks like. Some of us are holding our FECs. We are the "holders", not PZ.

Yes, some foreigners give the rest of us a bad name. No, not all of us are piss-takers in China. Some of us taking teaching seriously, which is why we resent being treated like crap. Fighting back isn't "dangerous or risky" - it's our duty. Some of us deserve better treatment than what PZ gives. Some of us do our best and aren't here to drink beer or go to prostitutes.

Let me speak for myself: I'm not going to stay much longer in China. I'm on my way out. Blacklists don't scare me. I have a few things to take care of here first, then I'm gone.

I'm not sure what a New Zealand passport looks like. Maybe you could compare one to the FEC. Are they similar in colo(u)r? Do you have one handy? Or are you lavender W with an American passport?

I'm not Teacher C, the tall guy. He was not one to look for trouble. He tried his best to stay out of trouble, but trouble came after him and repeatedly so. We, I assume, have been forced into this online "Peizheng bashing" as Oxley put it - it's not "Peizheng-bashing" - it's Karl-bashing. PZ itself is just fine. I don't have a lot of time to waste on this sort of thing and do this purely out of duty and if I get some flak for it, so be it.

As for me at least - YOU WEREN'T THERE when what happened to me happened. I know you may have a penchant for brushing all foreigners with one brush, but that simply doesn't work. And if you've been in China for 12 years and don't speak fluent Chinese, then no, you don't know China.

What do you think about Max Long and Karl Wang again? Please refresh our memories (or "my" memory, if you prefer).
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby TheTruth » 04 Aug 2011, 21:21

To the previous poster:

Your cheap and vulgar little taunts will get you nowhere -- at least nowhere with me. I am here to discuss the college and not to engage in cheap Peizheng foreign teacher druggie-infested and alcohol mind-clouded melodrama. One can count the number of sober, decent, proper foreign teachers at the College at probably being less than 20, and that is a generous number by all counts.

As for Arthur and all of that silliness by the poster, this is China. That kind of gossip will get you nowhere -- it's just more of the usual Peizheng pscyho rehash. You may have heard it but to prove all of it beyond a shadow of a doubt is something that you will never do -- not here in China. You should be tending to cleaning up your own act a la Voltaire from Candide (if you ever read it in the original, I doubt).

And as for Karl and all his condos, well, excuse me, but that is truly none of our business. Again, this is his country, and not yours, and you are way out-of-line and decidedly out-of-place.

The three of you made a video recording of Max during his "meltdown" in China and then you posted it. Are you aware that under Chinese law, in order to make such recording, you would have needed his consent to (a) make it and then (b) to post it? You had neither. Frankly, I am going to let youtube know this. If youtube leaves it up, then youtube becomes liable. You three or three-in-one are truly operating at the extreme fringes of the law these days. Some caution is in order.

In any case, the issues with the Kafe remain. They are well-known. The issue with the drama queen who was exited from the College for professional turpitude and malfeasance and then started all of this hyperbole is well-known etc., etc., ad nauseum. The sale and consumption of drugs by a good amount of the FT's at the College is also a serious problem, deny it or not.

There are issues at the College, for sure, and there are issues with Karl Wang's management style. There are also issues with crazed-and-out-of-control foreign teachers as we can see here.

I always felt that Peizheng was not a truly bad place and that it was the presence of so many out-of-kilter foreign teachers that render it at times untenable as we can judge by the messages on this board, on http://www.eslcafe.com, and on other boards, all by the same "gang of three".

As for speaking fluent Chinese or not speaking fluent Chinese, that is truly a non sequitur.
TheTruth
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 05 Aug 2011, 02:33

Once again, poster Truth, you use words with a dashing authority of knowing it all. It often seems that a Webster and a Roget are parked beside you as you write and weave your words. You tend to attack and then defend the PZ administration in the same breath. But also you now seem more concerned with attacking the foreign teachers at this school and the other posters here, occasionally using a very intelligent sounding word or phrase (as well as throwing in the names of some well-known books). By the way, I am not here to question your intelligence. But I do have doubt about your ability to reason, to present real facts, and to keep this thread on track!

More often now, you attack the FTs at the school and FT posters here. And, you now keep this thread off topic constantly. Also, your persistence that only 'one' other poster posts here other than you or that this is some 'gang of three' acting together, only displays your incapacity to discern what is true and what is not. You seem to be here only to discredit others (posters and PZ FTs) so that the real issues are clouded.

Btw, I have never seen the so-called scandal video on YouTube. I really don't think its that important. I would rather see this thread continue to expose the admin at Peizheng and to inform unsuspecting future teachers about this school. The more difficult this thread can make hiring foreign teachers at this school, the sooner Karl will be gone. So why continue to attack our own here? Keep on track to present facts! And, I mean 'facts' concerning the corruption and misdeeds of the Peizheng administration; Not what you (Truth) think is true. Your statements concerning almost everything here are greatly generalized, extremely opinionated and only focused when attacking someone (usually a FT). What is your reason to be posting here?

Also, Truth, I can not help but be curious as to why you always feel the need to keep dragging that "Kafe" into this discussion. Again, you post blatant lies about drugs at that place and slander it to no end. For what purpose? It's only a cafe! As mentioned before; if you have a personal problem with teacher "M", then, be a man (even if you are not) and take it up with him. I see no reason to continue to bash the cafe in this thread. And, I'm sure the Chinese owners of the cafe wouldn't appreciate knowing that someone like you is slandering the place beyond reason. Please try to be responsible; use some common sense and have some decency in what you post here!

I mentioned Karl and Arthur (and their shiny new cars) earlier, only to help raise question to their ways of using their positions to cheat students and teachers for their own personal gain. And yes, that is the way it is here. Most of us are very aware of this (one does not have to be in China for 12 years to know this). But that doesn't make it acceptable because it's accepted (by most, not all) in their own culture. Much of the problem (at PZ) is due to the fact that so many admin at PZ having their hands in the till. Yes, they do protect each other. And yes, these two men (Karl and Arthur. Max is only a puppet gone wild) and their behavior, affect the well-being of FTs who teach at this college. Just as the behavior and practices of other admin at this college affect the well-being of students in other programs and Chinese teachers.

"Truth", I implore you to keep to the task at hand and keep this thread ON TOPIC !!
In case you forgot, the topic is Guangdong Pei Zheng College !!
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 08:31

"The manner in which MESL has muddied Arthur X., a senior administrator of the College, is an object of serious contention by me, given my long-standing acquaintance with this person."

Ah, the classic question of who drew first blood. I didn’t throw down the gauntlet at him til he threw down the gauntlet at me. I was leaving and he knew I was leaving. He pursued me anyway. If he had done nothing, I would have done. He drew his sword to attack me, I drew my sword to defend myself.

He could have eliminated the whole scenario with me by dealing with Max. Indeed, he could have avoided to whole situation at the school by dealing with Max. If he had dealt with Max, my second semester would have gone without incident, just as my first semester went without incident.

I wasn’t the only foreign teacher who disapproved of Max’s behavior and I wasn’t the only one who said so. Arthur and Karl knew early on Max was a big problem. But they continued to protect him no matter how bad the situation got.

I didn’t hire Max. I didn’t have the authority to fire, demote, or discipline Max. As executive managers, by definition, the buck stops at their desks. They are in positions of authority and therefore they are responsible.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 08:34

"The three of you made a video recording of Max during his "meltdown" in China and then you posted it."

I neither made nor distributed a video of the meltdown. I didn’t post the link on any forums or mass mail it. Nor do I have a copy of it, nor did I make a transcript of it, etc. Although I do provide a link at the end of my report, along with links to this forum and Dave’s forum. Any video that shocking will go viral without my involvement. I have devoted my time to providing information rather than fanning a wildfire.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 08:59

“MESL / Third View / puzzlebox / truthiness. Most likely all myriad personalities of the same original poster - MESL on Dave's, Third View here. MESL and all of his monikers, aliases, myriad personalities and the like.”

I don't use other names on this board.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 09:05

The Truth, Truthiness, and Puzzle Box. All 3 of you need to hit the edit button and delete most of your recent material. No one trying to make a decision about whether to work at Pei Zheng College is going to wade through all that stuff. They’re not interested in all this feuding. They just want to know the same thing you want to know when you consider a new school. They simply want to know about the experience of other teachers at the school.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 09:20

Teacher T in FLD, who has been teaching English for 32 years and knows his stuff, is the author of 2 books. Both have excellent curriculum, both have been distributed at the school, both are popular with the students. Both favor variety over depth (no textbook can be all things to all students).

The first one is “Around Here.” The second one is “Put It This Way.” I don’t know when “Around Here” was published, but “Put It This Way” was distributed to the students in the fall 2010 semester.

I used several chapters of “Put It This Way” in my classroom. It got the students involved and they clearly enjoyed it.

The author made an 8% commission. I don’t know how many copies were sold or how much the student’s paid. How much the author got cheated and how much of the students’ fees were skimmed is strictly a matter of speculation at this point.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 05 Aug 2011, 11:10

The Magick Cafe is relevant to this board because Karl Wang's attacks on the Magick Cafe demonstrate how far he is willing to abuse his authority against a foreign teacher.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 05 Aug 2011, 17:59

To The Truth (New Zealand Teacher P),

I am not one of the three in the video. I am still at Peizheng. I signed on for another year. I have had no direct problems with admin here, though some people I know have. I am freaked out at what has been done to teachers here.

There is one aspect to your postings which I DO AGREE with, and that is that many FTs are druggies and alcoholics and that they are (partly) responsible for damage caused at PZ. Alcohol-fuelled melodrama (or something to that effect) - again, I agree with your sentiment.

Where do I disagree with your thinking? Here: People must not be allowed to run roughshod over others without paying a price for it. Karl Wang must be exposed. Max Long, his assistant, also must be exposed.

I was not in the video. I had nothing to do with the video until later, when I downloaded it from Tudou and uploaded it onto Youtube with a friend's help because so many of my friends were being attacked by Max and Karl Wang. Luckily enough, I have had only minor problems admin at PZ (touch wood). But I have seen first-hand the results of their actions.

There is no "gang of three". There are more of us than here that, and as far as I can tell, only one of the men in the video is taking part in this forum (the tall man who I defended earlier).

12 years in China is something - it means you understand some things here. But not being fluent in Chinese limits your understanding, no doubt about it, and some Latin words don't change that.

Here are some thesaurus words that I copied and pasted from the internet:

overslaugh, pulverulence, quinquesection, perspicuity

Anyhow, it's high time for me to get back to my DVD and some tins of Pepsi I have been storing in my chilly bin.

Ta-ta for now.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 05 Aug 2011, 18:44

(I tried to edit my last post but didn't succeed.)

Alcoholic FTs - bad.
Karl Wang - bad.
Max Long - bad.

There are several good reasons to stay away from Peizheng College. I have to agree with you Truth (New Zealand Teacher P?) about the bad quality of most FTs at Peizheng. They might be as much of a reason to avoid Peizheng as the out-of-control Karl Wang in administration.

But Truth (New Zealand Teacher P?): Do not accuse others of being at the edge of the law when they are the victims of lawlessness at PZ. Would you call a rape victim a slut, even if she wore conservative clothing and told the truth?

ThirdView: Try to improve your English to keep your message credible:

rabid dog not rabbit dog

and go through your blog and clean up the typographical errors.

OVERALL MESSAGE:

DO NOT COME TO PEIZHENG!

I'm leaving as soon as I can afford it.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 06 Aug 2011, 02:33

As with supervisor B, so with John Oxley. I have 3 resources to draw conclusions about him:

1) I had a good experience with him. Limited but positive. 2) No one at the college told me any horror stories about him the entire 2 semesters I was there. 3) Vague accusations by anonymous people on the Internet. No specifics about people, circumstances, or results.

It’s worth mentioning that the same people who are accusing him are obsessed with his wife - her accent, her English skill level, the ethics of her having an English teaching position at the school.

When I arrived, he helped me with directions to the Italian restaurant in Huadu. I didn’t have frequent or long conversations with him after that, but every time I did speak with him, he was civil and engaging. I saw him many times at the Magick Café. He never made any type of scene there.

I saw him participate in many group conversations at the café and never saw him bully anyone. Nor has anyone presented any evidence that he does Karl’s dirty work, secretly or openly.

For all I know, he goes home and strangles cats. And for all we know, he’s Karl’s spy at the café. But no one has presented anything that contradicts my experience and the silence of his colleagues.

It’s called guilt by accusation.

………………………………..

You cannot get on the Internet and engage in character assassination. You cannot contaminate someone’s view of a person they haven’t met yet. You can not poison someone’s mind against another person with no basis other than your words. It’s not only unacceptable, it’s outrageous. It is also hypocritical: You cannot take Karl, Arthur, and Max to task for their abusive behavior only to practice abusive behavior yourself.

Imagine a new teacher at Pei Zheng College walks into the Magick Café and there sits the much maligned John Oxley. How will this new teacher react? Avoid him? Share your comments with others after John leaves the café? Strike up a conversation with John’s wife to satisfy his curiosity about her accent and skill level?

Slander, btw, violates the rules of this forum.

………………………………………

Evidence, not assertion. Proof, not claim. Background and examples, not speculation, not authoritative pronouncement. Established facts, not theory, conjecture, or rumor.

If an accusation were sufficient to attack someone’s character, person X could simply say, “Person Y is a jerk,” then person Y could simply say, “Person X is a jerk” and the 2 accusations would cancel each other.

Same goes for “Take my word for it.” Same goes for “Let me assure you.” Same goes for “I know this person well.” Same with “Obviously you don’t want to accept the reality of the situation,” “Any intelligent, reasonable person will acknowledge I’m right,” and “Anyone who refuses to believe this can’t be taken seriously.” Etc.

John Oxley isn’t a bully or an agent just because you SAY he’s a bully or agent. He’s a bully or an agent if you DEMONSTRATE it. Anything else is playground namecalling at best, slander at worst.

…………………………….

The fact that someone gets on an ESL board and claims they had a good experience with Pei Zheng College doesn’t automatically cast them under suspicion.

……………………………

The Truth is not teacher P from New Zealand. I’ve had many conversations with this person. He is one of the most mature, behaved foreign teachers at Pei Zheng College. He goes to great lengths to stay out of politics and avoid controversy. And he doesn’t hang out at the Magick Café. Nor does he share The Truth’s opinion of me. Nor has The Truth expressed teacher P’s views and complaints about foreign teachers. Nor is teacher P the least bit inclined to share opinions and gossip with the masses. The Truth is clearly psychotic and teacher P is clearly sane. It is beyond probability that teacher P is The Truth. Nor do you have anything but minor, circumstantial evidence for this possibility. So don’t start planting poisonous seeds about innocent people.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby puzzlebox » 06 Aug 2011, 04:54

to Poster ThirdView:

Your recent post is very well stated. However, "Truth" has already spread poisonous seeds here and continues to keep this thread Off Topic; confusing the real issues at hand.

BTW, I did try to edit one of my earlier posts here, but cannot. If I could edit it, it would now read:

Some things worthy of discussion:

Fact: Last year, no student in Program B received any textbooks.

That's a first at this college, and yes I find it to be very odd. Maybe someone should audit the bill that the students received for their OE textbooks last year, since they are billed at the beginning of the term.

And I would leave this in because its colorful and true: What's up with both Karl and Arthur sporting rather nice new cars fall term 2010 ?
puzzlebox
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 06 Aug 2011, 06:28

ThirdView

Well-said. I have met New Zealand Teacher P on several occasions and I also think he is a good person.

But I find the views expressed by Truth to be a bit too extreme when it comes to FTs. BTW, you have no proof it isn't him. None of us have proof of any kind that it's him or that it isn't.

But you made some good points in your post.

If it isn't Teacher P, who is it? Who else has spoken out so forcefully against FTs? And admittedly, it might not matter who Truth is anyway.

People are allowed to post opinions about people. That's part of what a forum is for. So what if you had positive experiences with him? What YOU had with him isn't relevant.

There is too much narrow-mindedness here.

"He was polite to me, so anything negative said about that person is conjecture and / or lies."

What if we all said YOU, Teacher C, were unreasonable in your approach to admin? You would say "You weren't there. That's a lie. That's conjecture. Start reading your own blog. Read it very carefully and objectively. Read it and proofread it, too."

This is purely narrow-minded selfish opinion vs narrow-minded selfish opinion.

Bottom line:

Avoid Peizheng College for several reasons. Perhaps the biggest reason is so you can avoid the foreign teacher nonsense.

Peizheng is so sick, even the victims are perpetrators in their own right. Almost everybody is guilty of something.

Very sick indeed.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 06 Aug 2011, 06:37

"You and Karl clashed on an unspoken, personal level. Why can't you admit it? You simply dance around the lavender kettle here but there's no need. We all know the truth. Many have alluded to it in other postings. Your and Karl's issues were highly, highly, highly personal in nature and it does not behoove me to detail them here. So just be honest with yourself and honest with others about it. As I said, everyone knew the truth, even if few spoke it."

"You failed to address the substantive issues that I mentioned, and that we were seen by all, concerning the issues affecting you and Karl. You do not touch upon them at all and you skirt around them."

You're the one dancing and skirting around it. You keep referring to it, but you haven't identified it. You obviously consider it important and you're tried very hard to get me to admit it, whatever it is. Meanwhile, it has behooved you to detail a lot of other issues about a lot of other people. So whatever talking about, spell it out.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 06 Aug 2011, 06:47

"He was polite to me, so anything negative said about that person is conjecture and / or lies."

I never said my positive experience with teacher P, teacher/supervisor M, supervisor B, John Oxley, the dorm manager, the former EEC secretary, the Program A supervisor, etc, is the absolute authority about these people. All I said was that no one has offered me any evidence to contradict my experience and that no one shared bad experiences about them while I was there. Unless someone offers me something credible to the contrary, I have to go with my experience.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby truthiness » 06 Aug 2011, 06:51

(again the forum wouldn't allow me to edit)

The video is our only evidence so far of any sickness of any kind at Peizheng. Max Long is the one who talking. He speaks volumes for himself. No conjecture needed. And that fact that Max Long (Kim Ray Long) is still at PZ says a lot about Karl Wang. This video must be protected and put online in safe places in several locations.

Teacher C's blog = conjecture and slander

ThirdView, you are being hypocritical vis-a-vis others being hypocritical.

May I suggest the following? Everyone erase all postings about PZ. Make everyone watch the video and then decide if PZ is a good place to come and work. The video is factual in that the video itself isn't an opinion and much of the talk comes from the mouth of the Program B Director himself.
truthiness
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 06 Aug 2011, 06:56

"You have no proof it isn't him. None of us have proof of any kind that it's him or that it isn't."

If teacher P is The Truth, then he has a case of split personality that deserves a place in the textbooks and the history books.
ThirdView
Gold Member

Unread postby ThirdView » 06 Aug 2011, 07:46

"What if we all said YOU, Teacher C, were unreasonable in your approach to admin?"

For anyone who considers my actions unreasonable, I refer to the previous semester, when Max was not a supervisor, and contrast it with the next semester, when Max was a supervisor. I have said it before and will say it again: no Max, no situation.

I might have been the only foreign teacher who threw down the gauntlet, but I'm not the only one who disapproved of Max's behavior and I'm not the only one who confronted the Chinese management about him. And I'm not the only one who's no longer there because of Max.

Were we all unreasonable? If so, that’s an awful lot of unreasonable people.

Anyone who insists a difference strategy would have been more effective, Max is still there, so try your strategy instead of offering it to me. If your strategy results in Max, Karl, or Arthur being fired or changing their behavior, without you losing your job, I will gladly accept your criticism.
ThirdView
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Jobs Discussion - Asia