non native speaker job opportunities

Discussion about jobs in Asia inc. Middle East

Moderator: Joe

BartJM

non native speaker job opportunities

Unread post by BartJM »

Hello, i was wondering the kind of options i have as a non native speaker from Holland like myself? I want to travel Asia for about a year in September and start working after that.

I have a bachelor in education (history) and 2 (3 next year) years of experience teaching history, Dutch and English in a Dutch secondary school. I'm going to start a course to get the Certificate in Advanced English in a few weeks.

I know i'm probably able to get a job in China or Thailand (considering that I am 28, caucasian and blond;)) but will I be able to apply for a job teaching in countries such as Korea or Japan, considering my degrees and experience in teaching, even though I am not a native speaker?

Thank you
skepticalai

Re: non native speaker job opportunities

Unread post by skepticalai »

Hi there;

I think you can get jobs in China though your not a native speaker as long as you know Basic English. That's the foundation of every communication. Try to speak slowly and surely they would understand. I hope I can be of help here. =)
BartJM

Unread post by BartJM »

Thanks for your reply. That's not going to be a problem :)
systematic
Top Contributor

Unread post by systematic »

There are a lot of Dutch people teaching English in Thailand. They are probably the majority of the non 100% native English teachers from Europe or other western countries.
chinajobs

Unread post by chinajobs »

It is always much harder for a non-native speaker trying to get an English teaching job. Make sure the English in your resume is perfect because many recruiters will ditch applications at this stage if they aren't.
TheTruth

Unread post by TheTruth »

Dear OP,

In this order please:

1. Heilongjiang (Harbin) and the large cities of the DongBei -- no problem you will find a job there easily;

2. Henan (Zhengzhou) same as above.

3. Shandong (Qingdao) same as above.

4. Shanghai and Beijing probably not owing to FEB control there these days.

5. Guangzhou is really strict these days, but that being said, I have known several Guangzhou uni's to hire Dutch citizens.

6. Sichuan (Chengdu) is a 50-50. If the school has the right amount of good relations, it can be arranged.
beducation

Unread post by beducation »

You would be able to get a job in china even though you are a non native speaker there are a lot of job opportunities especially teaching jobs .You can go to ChinaJobsApp on your Android or iPhone .
All the best
Last edited by Susan on 22 Feb 2012, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to remove link